Re: Dev - User agent / Handlheld processing [Newbie]

Re: Dev - User agent / Handlheld processing [Newbie]

Daniel Goodwin
I have created a 'small' standalone application
(installed to
hot-deploy) which I am using as a a proof of concept
to verify the use
of a handheld in a warehouse environment. I have had
some software
issues on handheld side (SSL) which have held me back
some, but for now
I can do simplified warehouse goods in receipts with
some stripped down
screens, and use of existing services to achieve
functionality.
Much of the application is based on Si Chen excellent
tutorials and also
nabbing code from the 'Example' application to achive
the (simple as
yet) security aspects. Great how much you can learn
when you have to
code, as opposed to reading about it!

Anyway I am interested if anyone wants to look or
comment on this. Is
there such a thing as a contrib directory or will I
look at hosting or
making available the source on our ftp site? On one
hand I would like to
make a nice tutorial like Si Chen, but it will be a
while longer before
I could be allocated time to devote to that.

Daniel

Daniel Goodwin wrote:

>Currently evaluating ofbiz for manufacturing
warehouse
>/ inventory use (UK).
>
>I have particular question on use of handheld devices
>for use in warehouse and want to try and understand
>how I could manipulate warehouse management screens
>for this purpose.
>First thought I had was to find out if framework
would
>allow use of User-Agent directive on input to
redirect

>request to different screen definitions particularly
>suited to the device 1/4 VGA. If not then is the only
>option to create a separate framework aound the
>limited functionality needed for the terminals
>(receive into stock, stock transfer, QA, pick/pack,
>stocktake)
>
>Daniel

Re: Dev - User agent / Handlheld processing [Newbie]

Jacopo Cappellato
Daniel,

I think that the best thing you can do is to create a new issue for this
in Jira (http://jira.ofbiz.org) and attach your component to it.

I really look forward at playing with your application and I'm sure
others are interested too.

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <[hidden email]>
> Daniel,
>
> I think that the best thing you can do is to create a new issue for this
> in Jira (http://jira.ofbiz.org) and attach your component to it.
>
> I really look forward at playing with your application and I'm sure
> others are interested too.

Yes, this seems really interesting !

Jacques

> Thanks,
>
> Jacopo
>
> Daniel Goodwin wrote:
> > I have created a 'small' standalone application
> > (installed to
> > hot-deploy) which I am using as a a proof of concept
> > to verify the use
> > of a handheld in a warehouse environment. I have had
> > some software
> > issues on handheld side (SSL) which have held me back
> > some, but for now
> > I can do simplified warehouse goods in receipts with
> > some stripped down
> > screens, and use of existing services to achieve
> > functionality.
> > Much of the application is based on Si Chen excellent
> > tutorials and also
> > nabbing code from the 'Example' application to achive
> > the (simple as
> > yet) security aspects. Great how much you can learn
> > when you have to
> > code, as opposed to reading about it!
> >
> > Anyway I am interested if anyone wants to look or
> > comment on this. Is
> > there such a thing as a contrib directory or will I
> > look at hosting or
> > making available the source on our ftp site? On one
> > hand I would like to
> > make a nice tutorial like Si Chen, but it will be a
> > while longer before
> > I could be allocated time to devote to that.
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> > Daniel Goodwin wrote:
> >
> >> Currently evaluating ofbiz for manufacturing
> > warehouse
> >> / inventory use (UK).
> >>
> >> I have particular question on use of handheld devices
> >> for use in warehouse and want to try and understand
> >> how I could manipulate warehouse management screens
> >> for this purpose.
> >> First thought I had was to find out if framework
> > would
> >> allow use of User-Agent directive on input to
> > redirect
> >> request to different screen definitions particularly
> >> suited to the device 1/4 VGA. If not then is the only
> >> option to create a separate framework aound the
> >> limited functionality needed for the terminals
> >> (receive into stock, stock transfer, QA, pick/pack,
> >> stocktake)
> >>
> >> Daniel

Re: Dev - User agent / Handlheld processing [Newbie]

Daniel Goodwin
Ok will 'tidy up' over next day or two (adding
comments perhaps more for
my benefit) and post to JIRA

Daniel

Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <[hidden email]>
>
>> Daniel,
>>
>> I think that the best thing you can do is to create
a new issue for this
>> in Jira (http://jira.ofbiz.org) and attach your
component to it.

>> I really look forward at playing with your
application and I'm sure

>> others are interested too.
>>

> Yes, this seems really interesting !
>
> Jacques
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jacopo
>>
>> Daniel Goodwin wrote:
>>
>>> I have created a 'small' standalone application
>>> (installed to
>>> hot-deploy) which I am using as a a proof of
concept
>>> to verify the use
>>> of a handheld in a warehouse environment. I have
had
>>> some software
>>> issues on handheld side (SSL) which have held me
back
>>> some, but for now
>>> I can do simplified warehouse goods in receipts
with
>>> some stripped down
>>> screens, and use of existing services to achieve
>>> functionality.
>>> Much of the application is based on Si Chen
excellent
>>> tutorials and also
>>> nabbing code from the 'Example' application to
achive
>>> the (simple as
>>> yet) security aspects. Great how much you can
learn
>>> when you have to
>>> code, as opposed to reading about it!
>>>
>>> Anyway I am interested if anyone wants to look or
>>> comment on this. Is
>>> there such a thing as a contrib directory or will
>>> look at hosting or
>>> making available the source on our ftp site? On
one
>>> hand I would like to
>>> make a nice tutorial like Si Chen, but it will be

>>> while longer before
>>> I could be allocated time to devote to that.
>>>
>>> Daniel

>>> warehouse

devices
understand
screens

>>> would

>>> redirect

particularly
only
pick/pack,

>>> service from just 8p a photo
>>> http://uk.photos.yahoo.com

Re: Dev - User agent / Handlheld processing [Newbie]

Daniel Goodwin
Held up slightly as latest release (7009) changes
break the app in
relation to receiveInventoryItem service
(see elsewhere on dev list)
Daniel

Daniel Goodwin wrote:
> I have created a 'small' standalone application
> (installed to
> hot-deploy) which I am using as a a proof of concept
> to verify the use
> of a handheld in a warehouse environment. I have had
> some software
> issues on handheld side (SSL) which have held me
back
> some, but for now
> I can do simplified warehouse goods in receipts with
> some stripped down
> screens, and use of existing services to achieve
> functionality.
> Much of the application is based on Si Chen
excellent
> tutorials and also
> nabbing code from the 'Example' application to
achive

> the (simple as
> yet) security aspects. Great how much you can learn
> when you have to
> code, as opposed to reading about it!
>
> Anyway I am interested if anyone wants to look or
> comment on this. Is
> there such a thing as a contrib directory or will I
> look at hosting or
> making available the source on our ftp site? On one
> hand I would like to
> make a nice tutorial like Si Chen, but it will be a
> while longer before
> I could be allocated time to devote to that.
>
> Daniel
>
> Daniel Goodwin wrote:
>

>> Currently evaluating ofbiz for manufacturing
>>
> warehouse
>
>> / inventory use (UK).
>>
>> I have particular question on use of handheld
devices

>> for use in warehouse and want to try and understand
>> how I could manipulate warehouse management screens
>> for this purpose.
>> First thought I had was to find out if framework
>>
> would
>
>> allow use of User-Agent directive on input to
>>
> redirect
>
>> request to different screen definitions
particularly
>> suited to the device 1/4 VGA. If not then is the
only

>> option to create a separate framework aound the
>> limited functionality needed for the terminals
>> (receive into stock, stock transfer, QA, pick/pack,
>> stocktake)
>>
>> Daniel

>> Yahoo! Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print
>>
> service from just 8p a photo
> http://uk.photos.yahoo.com

Re: Dev - User agent / Handlheld processing [Newbie]

Daniel Goodwin
Have attached rar file to following link (Ofbiz-804)

http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-804

Daniel Goodwin wrote:

Currently evaluating ofbiz for manufacturing

warehouse

/ inventory use (UK).

I have particular question on use of handheld devices
for use in warehouse and want to try and understand
how I could manipulate warehouse management screens
for this purpose.
First thought I had was to find out if framework

would

allow use of User-Agent directive on input to

redirect

request to different screen definitions particularly
suited to the device 1/4 VGA. If not then is the only
option to create a separate framework aound the
limited functionality needed for the terminals
(receive into stock, stock transfer, QA, pick/pack,
stocktake)

Daniel

Re: Dev - User agent / Handlheld processing [Newbie]

Ray Barlow
Hi Daniel,

This looks quite interesting work and I wanted to ask if you have any
updates on it before I delve any further? Certainly getting it committed
would be nice if the correct location can be agreed as per the jira
comments.

Thanks,

Ray

Daniel Goodwin wrote:

> Have attached rar file to following link (Ofbiz-804)
>
> http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-804

Re: Dev - User agent / Handlheld processing [Newbie]

Jacopo Cappellato
Ray,

it would be great to see some progress in that stuff!
Please have a look at the last comment I did to that Jira issue (and see
the attachment as well) about a reviewed version of Daniel's initial work.

Jacopo