Regarding Customization of ofbiz

Hammad Afridi
Hello,
      I have a question regarding the ofbiz modules. I want to develop an ecommerce product and want to use ofbiz as a base. My question is can I reuse the features from some of the applications or only use specific applications like catalog,cms,order only and disabling other applications.How is this possible?
      If not then do I need to redevelop the whole application according to my requirements?Please suggest how should I go about it.

Thanks,
Afridi

Re: Regarding Customization of ofbiz

Bruno Busco
Hi Afridi,
you should find many things you want to know here:
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Beginner%27s+Development+Guide+Using+Practice+Application

-Bruno

2008/9/13 Afridi <[hidden email]>

> Hello,
>      I have a question regarding the ofbiz modules. I want to develop an
> ecommerce product and want to use ofbiz as a base. My question is can I
> reuse the features from some of the applications or only use specific
> applications like catalog,cms,order only and disabling other
> applications.How is this possible?
>      If not then do I need to redevelop the whole application according to
> my requirements?Please suggest how should I go about it.
>

> Thanks,
> Afridi

Re: Regarding Customization of ofbiz

Ravindra Mandre
Hi Afridi,
you can reuse so many feature's of ofbiz to develop your ecommerce
product and now for easy checkout ofbiz have one page checkout as well .
you can follow this and reuse the feature as required.
http://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/ecommerce/control/main

Bruno Busco wrote:

> Hi Afridi,
> you should find many things you want to know here:
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Beginner%27s+Development+Guide+Using+Practice+Application
>
> -Bruno
>
> 2008/9/13 Afridi <[hidden email]>
>

>> Hello,
>>      I have a question regarding the ofbiz modules. I want to develop an
>> ecommerce product and want to use ofbiz as a base. My question is can I
>> reuse the features from some of the applications or only use specific
>> applications like catalog,cms,order only and disabling other
>> applications.How is this possible?
>>      If not then do I need to redevelop the whole application according to
>> my requirements?Please suggest how should I go about it.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Afridi
>>
>> --

Thanks & Regards,

Ravindra Mandre
HotWax Media, Inc.
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com

Re: Regarding Customization of ofbiz

Patrick Antivackis
Hello Alfridi,
There are two things to know about the already existing modules :
- they are by default mounted as webapp
- each service, script, template, form can be included/called by another
ofbiz module

So when you create a brand new ecommerce, you usually :
- create your own application that is mounted as a webapp (usually at the
root level)
- you create your new templates/forms/scripts/services/entities and try to
reuse the most possible of scripts/services/entities of the others modules

Once everything is great and you can deliver to production, you update the
ofbiz-component.xml of each of the default Ofbiz modules you are not
interested by, and you comment the last parts (data seeds and webapp
declaration). Like this these applications would only be loaded by ofbiz as
component and nobody can access them directly through an url.

Hope it helps

Patrick

2008/9/13 Afridi <[hidden email]>

> Hello,
>      I have a question regarding the ofbiz modules. I want to develop an
> ecommerce product and want to use ofbiz as a base. My question is can I
> reuse the features from some of the applications or only use specific
> applications like catalog,cms,order only and disabling other
> applications.How is this possible?
>      If not then do I need to redevelop the whole application according to
> my requirements?Please suggest how should I go about it.
>

> Thanks,
> Afridi

Re: Regarding Customization of ofbiz

Hammad Afridi
Thanks for your reply,what I am thinking is that for e.g. I dont want use accounting application and ar,ap application how would is disable it. Is their any dependency with the ecommerce application. i know for ecommerce at minimum i need catalog app,content app and order app.So for eg I need these three apllicatinos only how can I do this. Is it possible.Thanks.

Ravindra Mandre wrote

Bruno Busco wrote:
> Hi Afridi,
> you should find many things you want to know here:
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Beginner%27s+Development+Guide+Using+Practice+Application
>
> -Bruno
>
> 2008/9/13 Afridi <hammadafridi@yahoo.com>
>

>> Hello,
>>      I have a question regarding the ofbiz modules. I want to develop an
>> ecommerce product and want to use ofbiz as a base. My question is can I
>> reuse the features from some of the applications or only use specific
>> applications like catalog,cms,order only and disabling other
>> applications.How is this possible?
>>      If not then do I need to redevelop the whole application according to
>> my requirements?Please suggest how should I go about it.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Afridi
>>
>> --

Thanks & Regards,

Ravindra Mandre
HotWax Media, Inc.
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com

Re: Regarding Customization of ofbiz

Bruno Busco
Afridi,
in the last part of Patrick's answer there is what you are asking.
-Bruno

2008/9/13 Afridi <[hidden email]>

> Thanks for your reply,what I am thinking is that for e.g. I dont want use
> accounting application and ar,ap application how would is disable it. Is
> their any dependency with the ecommerce application. i know for ecommerce
> at
> minimum i need catalog app,content app and order app.So for eg I need these
> three apllicatinos only how can I do this. Is it possible.Thanks.
>

> Ravindra Mandre wrote:
> >
> > Hi Afridi,
> > you can reuse so many feature's of ofbiz to develop your ecommerce
> > product and now for easy checkout ofbiz have one page checkout as well .
> > you can follow this and reuse the feature as required.
> > http://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/ecommerce/control/main
> >

> > Bruno Busco wrote:
> >> Hi Afridi,
> >> you should find many things you want to know here:
> >>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Beginner%27s+Development+Guide+Using+Practice+Application
> >>
> >> -Bruno

> an

> > --
> > Thanks & Regards,
> >
> > Ravindra Mandre
> > HotWax Media, Inc.
> > http://www.hotwaxmedia.com

Re: Regarding Customization of ofbiz

suggest you understand the current ecommerce and clone ecommerce
components first. you can do most of you configuration with CSS.

there is dependency between application components, for the back-end you
can leave components running but remove the component tab across the top.

There is no dependency from the application to the framework so if you
want to, you can just build your own application on top of the framework.

I really suggest you become familiar with how ofbiz applications work
before deciding not to use something.

Afridi sent the following on 9/13/2008 1:08 AM:

> Hello,
>       I have a question regarding the ofbiz modules. I want to develop an
> ecommerce product and want to use ofbiz as a base. My question is can I
> reuse the features from some of the applications or only use specific
> applications like catalog,cms,order only and disabling other
> applications.How is this possible?
>       If not then do I need to redevelop the whole application according to
> my requirements?Please suggest how should I go about it.
>

> Thanks,
> Afridi

Re: Regarding Customization of ofbiz

Patrick Antivackis
Hello again,
Personnaly i would not recommend you to uninstall any application. The
reason is that even if one application seams unnecessary (but you really
have to double/triple check that an entity, a service, a script or a
template is not used elsewhere) it is better to keep all the core together
for updates purpose. Like this you are sure, that all new developpments in
Ofbiz, that may be you will need in a close future, will be quite easy to
apply to your ecommerce application.

Also no to far from the scope, i suggest you to well understand vendor
branch management in a source control tool like svn :
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.advanced.vendorbr.html

Regards

From: "Patrick Antivackis" <[hidden email]>

> Hello again,
> Personnaly i would not recommend you to uninstall any application. The
> reason is that even if one application seams unnecessary (but you really
> have to double/triple check that an entity, a service, a script or a
> template is not used elsewhere) it is better to keep all the core together
> for updates purpose. Like this you are sure, that all new developpments in
> Ofbiz, that may be you will need in a close future, will be quite easy to
> apply to your ecommerce application.
>
> Also no to far from the scope, i suggest you to well understand vendor
> branch management in a source control tool like svn :
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.advanced.vendorbr.html
>
> Regards

Yes, and also some OFBiz specific scenari
http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/px
http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/l
http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/8gI

Jacques