Screen Widget Cache, Dataresource, FlexString Error

Screen Widget Cache, Dataresource, FlexString Error

cjhowe
I am getting an undesired result with the following:

<screen name="main-content">
  <section>
     <widgets>
       <label>${parameters.dataresourceId}</label>
        <content dataresource-id="${parameters.dataresourceId}"/>
     </widgets>
  </section>
 </screen>

On each request with a different dataresourceId value, the <label> updates, but the <content> does not until the widget.screen.locationResource.expireTime cache setting elapses.  This leads me to believe that the screen is getting cached after the FlexibleStringExpander does its magic on the content element.  I can't imagine this being the expected result.  Can anyone help me zero in on the fix while I dig?  Thanks.

Re: Screen Widget Cache, Dataresource, FlexString Error

Adrian Crum
What revision are you using?

-Adrian

Chris Howe wrote:

> I am getting an undesired result with the following:
>
> <screen name="main-content">
>   <section>
>      <widgets>
>        <label>${parameters.dataresourceId}</label>
>         <content dataresource-id="${parameters.dataresourceId}"/>
>      </widgets>
>   </section>
>  </screen>
>
> On each request with a different dataresourceId value, the <label> updates, but the <content> does not until the widget.screen.locationResource.expireTime cache setting elapses.  This leads me to believe that the screen is getting cached after the FlexibleStringExpander does its magic on the content element.  I can't imagine this being the expected result.  Can anyone help me zero in on the fix while I dig?  Thanks.

Re: Screen Widget Cache, Dataresource, FlexString Error

cjhowe
It resets with the screen widget cache expiration though.  If I set widget.screen.locationResource.expireTime=1000 there is no problem, but if I set widget.screen.locationResource.expireTime=10000 then there is a problem.  This leads me to believe the following is what is being read by the cache:

First pass (nothing in cache) parameters.dataresourceId=12345
<screen name="main-content">
 <section>
     <widgets>
       <label>${parameters.dataresourceId}</label>
        <content dataresource-id="${parameters.dataresourceId}"/>
     </widgets>
 </section>
 </screen>

Second pass parameters.dataresourceId=54321

<screen name="main-content">
 <section>
     <widgets>
       <label>${parameters.dataresourceId}</label>
        <content dataresource-id="12345"/>
     </widgets>
 </section>
</screen>

So, my thoughts are that it is caching the screen definition after it expands the <content> tag, which would all still be in the widget component and not the content component.

Re: Screen Widget Cache, Dataresource, FlexString Error

Adrian Crum
Just keep in mind your initial description of the problem - the label
widget works properly, and the content widget does not.

-Adrian

Chris Howe wrote:

> It resets with the screen widget cache expiration though.  If I set widget.screen.locationResource.expireTime=1000 there is no problem, but if I set widget.screen.locationResource.expireTime=10000 then there is a problem.  This leads me to believe the following is what is being read by the cache:
>
> First pass (nothing in cache) parameters.dataresourceId=12345
> <screen name="main-content">
>  <section>
>      <widgets>
>        <label>${parameters.dataresourceId}</label>
>         <content dataresource-id="${parameters.dataresourceId}"/>
>      </widgets>
>  </section>
>  </screen>
>

> Second pass parameters.dataresourceId=54321
>
> <screen name="main-content">
>  <section>
>      <widgets>
>        <label>${parameters.dataresourceId}</label>
>         <content dataresource-id="12345"/>
>      </widgets>
>  </section>
> </screen>
>
> So, my thoughts are that it is caching the screen definition after it expands the <content> tag, which would all still be in the widget component and not the content component.

Chris,

I found your problem. I'll leave it up to you to fix it:

ModelScreenWidget.java, line 1080.

-Adrian

Adrian Crum wrote:

> Just keep in mind your initial description of the problem - the label
> widget works properly, and the content widget does not.
>
> -Adrian
>
> Chris Howe wrote:
>> It resets with the screen widget cache expiration though.  If I set
>> widget.screen.locationResource.expireTime=1000 there is no problem,
>> but if I set widget.screen.locationResource.expireTime=10000 then
>> there is a problem.  This leads me to believe the following is what is
>> being read by the cache:
>>
>> First pass (nothing in cache) parameters.dataresourceId=12345
>> <screen name="main-content">
>>  <section>
>>      <widgets>
>>        <label>${parameters.dataresourceId}</label>
>>         <content dataresource-id="${parameters.dataresourceId}"/>
>>      </widgets>
>>  </section>
>>  </screen>
>>

>> Second pass parameters.dataresourceId=54321
>>
>> <screen name="main-content">
>>  <section>
>>      <widgets>
>>        <label>${parameters.dataresourceId}</label>
>>         <content dataresource-id="12345"/>
>>      </widgets>
>>  </section>
>> </screen>
>>
>> So, my thoughts are that it is caching the screen definition after it
>> expands the <content> tag, which would all still be in the widget
>> component and not the content component.

BJ Freeman
Adrian:
thanks for quick evaluations of problems people come up with.
It is very much appreciated from the peanut gallery.
:D

Adrian Crum sent the following on 9/10/2008 2:04 PM:

> Chris,
>
> I found your problem. I'll leave it up to you to fix it:
>
> ModelScreenWidget.java, line 1080.
>
> -Adrian
>
> Adrian Crum wrote:
>> Just keep in mind your initial description of the problem - the label
>> widget works properly, and the content widget does not.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>
>> Chris Howe wrote:
>>> It resets with the screen widget cache expiration though.  If I set
>>> widget.screen.locationResource.expireTime=1000 there is no problem,
>>> but if I set widget.screen.locationResource.expireTime=10000 then
>>> there is a problem.  This leads me to believe the following is what
>>> is being read by the cache:
>>>
>>> First pass (nothing in cache) parameters.dataresourceId=12345
>>> <screen name="main-content">
>>>  <section>
>>>      <widgets>
>>>        <label>${parameters.dataresourceId}</label>
>>>         <content dataresource-id="${parameters.dataresourceId}"/>
>>>      </widgets>
>>>  </section>
>>>  </screen>
>>>

>>> Second pass parameters.dataresourceId=54321
>>>
>>> <screen name="main-content">
>>>  <section>
>>>      <widgets>
>>>        <label>${parameters.dataresourceId}</label>
>>>         <content dataresource-id="12345"/>
>>>      </widgets>
>>>  </section>
>>> </screen>
>>>
>>> So, my thoughts are that it is caching the screen definition after it
>>> expands the <content> tag, which would all still be in the widget
>>> component and not the content component.

You're welcome.

It's purely coincidental that the last few problems were well described,
and they affected areas I'm very familiar with - so it was easy to track
them down.

-Adrian

BJ Freeman wrote:

> Adrian:
> thanks for quick evaluations of problems people come up with.
> It is very much appreciated from the peanut gallery.
> :D
>
> Adrian Crum sent the following on 9/10/2008 2:04 PM:
>> Chris,
>>
>> I found your problem. I'll leave it up to you to fix it:
>>
>> ModelScreenWidget.java, line 1080.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>
>> Adrian Crum wrote:
>>> Just keep in mind your initial description of the problem - the label
>>> widget works properly, and the content widget does not.
>>>
>>> -Adrian

So, commenting it out works in my scenario.  What is the scenario that requires it to be set?  The comment in the logs that introduced it talks about needing two <content> tags, but I can do two with it commented out.

Adrian Crum wrote:

> Just keep in mind your initial description of the problem - the label
> widget works properly, and the content widget does not.
>
> -Adrian
>
> Chris Howe wrote:
>> It resets with the screen widget cache expiration though.  If I set
>> widget.screen.locationResource.expireTime=1000 there is no problem,
>> but if I set widget.screen.locationResource.expireTime=10000 then
>> there is a problem.  This leads me to believe the following is what is
>> being read by the cache:
>>
>> First pass (nothing in cache) parameters.dataresourceId=12345
>> <screen name="main-content">
>>  <section>
>>      <widgets>
>>        <label>${parameters.dataresourceId}</label>
>>         <content dataresource-id="${parameters.dataresourceId}"/>
>>      </widgets>
>>  </section>
>>  </screen>
>>

>> Second pass parameters.dataresourceId=54321
>>
>> <screen name="main-content">
>>  <section>
>>      <widgets>
>>        <label>${parameters.dataresourceId}</label>
>>         <content dataresource-id="12345"/>
>>      </widgets>
>>  </section>
>> </screen>
>>
>> So, my thoughts are that it is caching the screen definition after it
>> expands the <content> tag, which would all still be in the widget
>> component and not the content component.

I have no idea. It had something to do with blogs in eCommerce.

The comments in the Java code also mention something about content IDs -
like it was trying to accommodate nested content.

We will have to see if Al Byers can offer any insight.

-Adrian