Users - Forum+Knowledge base instead of mailing list

Users - Forum+Knowledge base instead of mailing list

Vinay Agarwal

Hello,

Is it worthwhile to switch to forum format (possibly with a knowledge base) since forums are generally better at organizing information? Many new OFBiz users may benefit for this format and, as a result, reduce questions whose answers can be found easily on the forum. Also, if OFBiz forum component is operational, it may be a good test for it.

Regards,

Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - Forum+Knowledge base instead of mailing list

Hi Vinay,

You certainly guess that this has alreday been asked in the past. If you search in MLs you will find answers. But yes, it was a lot easier when MLs had an internal search option (and even a plugin to search from firefox-google field).

The other way is to use Google option "site:lists.ofbiz.org" but you have to crawl between every ML and svn ml is prominent...

In think the reason is that it's a lot less time consuming to admin a ML than forums... Because forums to be good tools must be regularly administred.

Jacques
Is it worthwhile to switch to forum format (possibly with a knowledge base) since forums are generally better at organizing information? Many new OFBiz users may benefit for this format and, as a result, reduce questions whose answers can be found easily on the forum. Also, if OFBiz forum component is operational, it may be a good test for it.

Regards,

Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - Forum+Knowledge base instead of mailing list

Vinay Agarwal

Jacques,

I agree that forums take some administration but it certainly is less than administration of Wiki. If we give forum admin rights to more people (committers + regulars on the mailing list), forum administration would not be a problem. The most difficult part would be to set it up.

Regards,

Vinay

Is it worthwhile to switch to forum format (possibly with a knowledge base) since forums are generally better at organizing information? Many new OFBiz users may benefit for this format and, as a result, reduce questions whose answers can be found easily on the forum. Also, if OFBiz forum component is operational, it may be a good test for it.

Regards,

Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - Forum+Knowledge base instead of mailing list

Charles Johnson-4

Vinay Agarwal wrote:

> Jacques,
>
> I agree that forums take some administration but it certainly is less
> than administration of Wiki. If we give forum admin rights to more
> people (committers + regulars on the mailing list), forum
> administration would not be a problem. The most difficult part would
> be to set it up.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vinay

Why is that the case btw?

CJ

Re: Users - Forum+Knowledge base instead of mailing list

Florin T.PATRASCU (work)
+1

Vinay Agarwal wrote:

> Jacques,
>
> I agree that forums take some administration but it certainly is less
> than administration of Wiki. If we give forum admin rights to more
> people (committers + regulars on the mailing list), forum
> administration would not be a problem. The most difficult part would
> be to set it up.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vinay

Backing up a little bit... what would be the benefits of using forums versus mailing lists? Or is it forums versus the wiki?

I've seen 2 in these messages so far:

1. "generally better at organizing information"
2. easier to search in a forum

I'm not sure what #1 is supposed to mean, and I'm not sure that #2 is actually true... I'd be interested in hearing other benefits of using a forum...

Unless the forum could be used like a mailing list, ie get messages in email and reply to them with email, then you can use them all you want, but chances are questions won't get many answers because it will require more effort from those that do monitor the lists and answer questions...

-David

David E. Jones wrote:

>Backing up a little bit... what would be the benefits of using forums versus mailing lists? Or is it forums versus the wiki?
>
>I've seen 2 in these messages so far:
>
>1. "generally better at organizing information"
>2. easier to search in a forum
>
>I'm not sure what #1 is supposed to mean, and I'm not sure that #2 is actually true... I'd be interested in hearing other benefits of using a forum...
>
>Unless the forum could be used like a mailing list, ie get messages in email and reply to them with email, then you can use them all you want, but chances are questions won't get many answers because it will require more effort from those that do monitor the lists and answer questions...
>
>-David
>

>Vinay Agarwal wrote:
>

>>Jacques,
>>
>>I agree that forums take some administration but it certainly is less
>>than administration of Wiki. If we give forum admin rights to more
>>people (committers + regulars on the mailing list), forum administration
>>would not be a problem. The most difficult part would be to set it up.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Vinay

Most forums support mail notifications. Replying ... No not by email, but it's not too hard to keep the forum page open in the browser.

CJ

Re: Users - Forum+Knowledge base instead of mailing list

Vinay Agarwal
David,
I feel that forums may actually increase the answers to questions because
people like me can answer certain questions while not all questions. In
addition, I am personally more interested in some topics than others. For
me, emails don't automatically get organized in threads and, therefore, can
feel overwhelming at times. Forums, on the other hand, are always thread
organized. They normally can send email notification with an effect similar
to the mailing list. I was originally thinking about OFBiz forum but not
sure if it has all these features.
Regards,
Vinay

Vinay Agarwal wrote:

> Jacques,
>
> I agree that forums take some administration but it certainly is less
> than administration of Wiki. If we give forum admin rights to more
> people (committers + regulars on the mailing list), forum administration
> would not be a problem. The most difficult part would be to set it up.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vinay

Andrew Sykes
As someone who seems to answer a lot more questions than I ask, I would
certainly find the forum format annoying.

I generally just let the ML stuff flow in all day and whenever I have a
free moment I scan through and see if there's anything I can help with.

If I had to be more proactive, i.e. browse through a forum waiting for
pages to load etc, I just wouldn't bother.

I think that this kind of demonstrates a problem, I can understand that
for those who want to find info quickly, a forum is better, but for
those who provide the answers the process is much less painful as a ML.

So I guess I'm saying that I much prefer the status quo...
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>

Re: Users - Forum+Knowledge base instead of mailing list

David E. Jones

Yeah, this is exactly the problem with forums... We had some early on in OFBiz on the SourceForge site and it was a mess. Messages would go unnoticed for weeks sometimes. Of course, we had both mailing lists and forums at the time, and most people used the mailing lists. So, we tossed the forums.

-David

Andrew Sykes wrote:

> As someone who seems to answer a lot more questions than I ask, I would
> certainly find the forum format annoying.
>
> I generally just let the ML stuff flow in all day and whenever I have a
> free moment I scan through and see if there's anything I can help with.
>
> If I had to be more proactive, i.e. browse through a forum waiting for
> pages to load etc, I just wouldn't bother.
>
> I think that this kind of demonstrates a problem, I can understand that
> for those who want to find info quickly, a forum is better, but for
> those who provide the answers the process is much less painful as a ML.
>
> So I guess I'm saying that I much prefer the status quo...

Re: Users - Forum+Knowledge base instead of mailing list

So, wait, are you talking about the need for threading, or the idea of doing more granular topics for different forums (which could also be done with mailing lists)? There was a discussion about more granular topics recently, might be of interest.

For threading, I'd say get a better mail reader ;), like Thunderbird (which is what I use these days) or something.

-David

Vinay Agarwal wrote:

> David,
> I feel that forums may actually increase the answers to questions because
> people like me can answer certain questions while not all questions. In
> addition, I am personally more interested in some topics than others. For
> me, emails don't automatically get organized in threads and, therefore, can
> feel overwhelming at times. Forums, on the other hand, are always thread
> organized. They normally can send email notification with an effect similar
> to the mailing list. I was originally thinking about OFBiz forum but not
> sure if it has all these features.
> Regards,
> Vinay

cjhowe

So, uh, hey.  I came across this rather flexible open
source framework project called Open for Business a
while back.  I'm sure with minimal tweaking it could
provide this functionality as both a forum and a
mailing list. ;)

Vinay Agarwal wrote:
> David,
> I feel that forums may actually increase the answers
to questions because
> people like me can answer certain questions while
not all questions. In
> addition, I am personally more interested in some
topics than others. For
> me, emails don't automatically get organized in
threads and, therefore, can
> feel overwhelming at times. Forums, on the other
hand, are always thread
> organized. They normally can send email notification
with an effect similar
> to the mailing list. I was originally thinking about
OFBiz forum but not
> sure if it has all these features.
> Regards,
> Vinay

hotmail.com>

Chris,
When can I have that? ;)
Vinay

Vinay Agarwal wrote:
> David,
> I feel that forums may actually increase the answers
to questions because
> people like me can answer certain questions while
not all questions. In
> addition, I am personally more interested in some
topics than others. For
> me, emails don't automatically get organized in
threads and, therefore, can
> feel overwhelming at times. Forums, on the other
hand, are always thread
> organized. They normally can send email notification
with an effect similar
> to the mailing list. I was originally thinking about
OFBiz forum but not
> sure if it has all these features.
> Regards,
> Vinay

Yeah, exactly... This has been discussed a few times, ie creating a forum-like system (extending the current forum stuff...) to be a nice flexible mailing list management type of tool. A lot of infrastructure is actually in place for this now, including stuff to send and process emails.

The problem is usually that there is a lot to do, and too few resources to do it, so most of what gets into OFBiz is either funded by some paying project, or is a big enough issue to attract attention from contributors in spite of not being paid.

With what has been developed recently, perhaps we are close enough that this could be a feasible 2-3 day project... Is this more important than other outstanding issues, like:

1. fixing outstanding issues... just check out Jira to get a glimpse of this increasingly fun mountain of stuff ;)
2. library refactoring to eliminate LGPL/GPL libraries
3. documentation consolidation
4. writing and producing additional documentation (documents, videos, etc)
5. creating and distributed marketing collateral and other such things
6. testing infrastructure completion and "best-practice" testing examples in the example component
7. adding a comprehensive test suite for the existing OFBiz functionality...

Of course, to make things more difficult we are moving toward becoming an ASF project and I don't know if they would host this sort of thing. We could do it on the Undersun server (sponsored by Undersun and Contegix) where everything is hosted now, and it looks like some things will be staying there anyway, so this is probably not a big issue.

-David

Vinay Agarwal wrote:

> Chris,
> When can I have that? ;)
> Vinay

Adrian Crum
Maybe focus on the list items that will help enlarge the community - who will
then provide the resources for the remaining list items.

David E. Jones wrote:

> Yeah, exactly... This has been discussed a few times, ie creating a forum-like system (extending the current forum stuff...) to be a nice flexible mailing list management type of tool. A lot of infrastructure is actually in place for this now, including stuff to send and process emails.
>
> The problem is usually that there is a lot to do, and too few resources to do it, so most of what gets into OFBiz is either funded by some paying project, or is a big enough issue to attract attention from contributors in spite of not being paid.
>
> With what has been developed recently, perhaps we are close enough that this could be a feasible 2-3 day project... Is this more important than other outstanding issues, like:
>
> 1. fixing outstanding issues... just check out Jira to get a glimpse of this increasingly fun mountain of stuff ;)
> 2. library refactoring to eliminate LGPL/GPL libraries
> 3. documentation consolidation
> 4. writing and producing additional documentation (documents, videos, etc)
> 5. creating and distributed marketing collateral and other such things
> 6. testing infrastructure completion and "best-practice" testing examples in the example component
> 7. adding a comprehensive test suite for the existing OFBiz functionality...
>
> Of course, to make things more difficult we are moving toward becoming an ASF project and I don't know if they would host this sort of thing. We could do it on the Undersun server (sponsored by Undersun and Contegix) where everything is hosted now, and it looks like some things will be staying there anyway, so this is probably not a big issue.
>
> -David
>

> Vinay Agarwal wrote:
>
>>Chris,
>>When can I have that? ;)
>>Vinay

Yes, this is a good approach.

Right now my biggest priorities are on the Apache effort and documentation for this reason. And of course, the marketing areas could directly push this direction and really need some attention...

Right now the only group marketing effort I'm aware of is being spearheaded by Si and is the booth at the OSCON exhibit in July. This, of course, is a marketing opportunity for the individuals and companies who participate as well as for the project as a whole.

Of course, the tricky side to this approach is attracting community members that will contribute to the project. For the most part this excludes "out of the box" users, so that is something that I often consider with marketing efforts for OFBiz.

-David

Adrian Crum wrote:

> Maybe focus on the list items that will help enlarge the community - who will
> then provide the resources for the remaining list items.
>

> David E. Jones wrote:
>
>> Yeah, exactly... This has been discussed a few times, ie creating a forum-like system (extending the current forum stuff...) to be a nice flexible mailing list management type of tool. A lot of infrastructure is actually in place for this now, including stuff to send and process emails.
>>
>> The problem is usually that there is a lot to do, and too few resources to do it, so most of what gets into OFBiz is either funded by some paying project, or is a big enough issue to attract attention from contributors in spite of not being paid.
>>
>> With what has been developed recently, perhaps we are close enough that this could be a feasible 2-3 day project... Is this more important than other outstanding issues, like:
>>
>> 1. fixing outstanding issues... just check out Jira to get a glimpse of this increasingly fun mountain of stuff ;)
>> 2. library refactoring to eliminate LGPL/GPL libraries
>> 3. documentation consolidation
>> 4. writing and producing additional documentation (documents, videos, etc)
>> 5. creating and distributed marketing collateral and other such things
>> 6. testing infrastructure completion and "best-practice" testing examples in the example component
>> 7. adding a comprehensive test suite for the existing OFBiz functionality...
>>
>> Of course, to make things more difficult we are moving toward becoming an ASF project and I don't know if they would host this sort of thing. We could do it on the Undersun server (sponsored by Undersun and Contegix) where everything is hosted now, and it looks like some things will be staying there anyway, so this is probably not a big issue.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> Vinay Agarwal wrote:
>>
>>> Chris,
>>> When can I have that? ;)
>>> Vinay

Just to close(?) this thread. May we have a search option on the new ASF ML
lists ? I liked very much the Firefox searchplugin Firas A. proposed.
As you can see below, it's easily adaptable to a new ML if a search option is
available...

 method  = "GET"
 version     = "8.0"

<input name="words" user>
<input name="config" value="users">
<input name="method" value="and">
<input name="sort" value="score">
<input name="format" value="short">

<interpret
 browserResultType = "result"
 resultListStart  = '<hr noshade size="1">'
 resultListEnd  = "<hr noshade size=2>"
 resultItemStart  = "> <strong>"
 resultItemEnd  = "</strong><br>"
<
</search>

Re: Users - Forum+Knowledge base instead of mailing list

Christian Geisert
Jacques Le Roux schrieb:
> Just to close(?) this thread. May we have a search option on the new ASF ML
> lists ? I liked very much the Firefox searchplugin Firas A. proposed.

The official ASF Mail Archives have no search option (yet) but there are
alternatives like Nabble[1] (which already has the OFBiz lists), MARC[2]
and The Mail Archive[3].

Christian

[1] http://www.nabble.com/OFBiz-f2740.html
[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/
[3] http://www.mail-archive.com/

Users - From the depths of achives

BJ Freeman
little humor.
I am revamping my websites after about 10 years.
in a folder named ofbiz I found a * meg zip file
ofbiz-1.0-beta1-complete.zip  dated 11/30/2001

Re: Users - Forum+Knowledge base instead of mailing list

> Jacques Le Roux schrieb:

> > Just to close(?) this thread. May we have a search option on the new ASF ML
> > lists ? I liked very much the Firefox searchplugin Firas A. proposed.
>
> The official ASF Mail Archives have no search option (yet) but there are
> alternatives like Nabble[1] (which already has the OFBiz lists), MARC[2]
> and The Mail Archive[3].
>
> Christian
>
> [1] http://www.nabble.com/OFBiz-f2740.html
> [2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/
> [3] http://www.mail-archive.com/
Thanks a lot Christian,

With your information and the original searchplugin from Firas A. I made 3 new
searchplugins respectively for All OFBiz ML List (User+Dev+Annonce), User ML and
Dev ML. I used Nabble for that. I don't know how far is the history but it works
anyway.

To use it unzip files and put them in your Firefox's searchplugins dir. For me
on Windows it's : C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins, on Linux
(Ubuntu 5.1) /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/searchplugins

Enjoy

searchplugins.zip (3K) Download Attachment
12