Users - Guidance on Widgets vs FTLs

Vinay Agarwal

Hello,

I used ecommerce as base for my application which uses FTLs for most screens instead of form widgets. I have built about 20 or so screens (about 10% of total task) using FTLs based on ecommerce css but having increasing difficulty in making their output predictable. I am not looking for any “slick” screens, just some clean and professional looking interface. I am looking for guidance on the direction I should take.

Option 1. Switch to form widgets since 90% work remains.

Option 2. Stay with FTL since they potentially allow ultimate customization of screens.

Other options?

I would appreciate your suggestions.

Regards,

Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - Guidance on Widgets vs FTLs

byersa
Vinay,

Having coded a good bit of the widget functionality, I am partial to it.
I do believe that it is the way that OFBiz will be going. We are trying
to switch all screens to it. The goal is always to reduce code size
while preserving flexibility. Since you can always call .ftl templates
from within widget screens, there is not much reason not to use it.

The multi-levels of the decorator screen includes makes it practical to
have a fairly complex UI framework. Trying to do the same thing without
using widget technology would get messy.

Also, I believe that having your entire UI codebase in XML will make for
some powerful generation and maintenance scripts down the road.

-Al

Vinay Agarwal wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I used ecommerce as base for my application which uses FTLs for most
> screens instead of form widgets. I have built about 20 or so screens
> (about 10% of total task) using FTLs based on ecommerce css but having
> increasing difficulty in making their output predictable. I am not
> looking for any “slick” screens, just some clean and professional
> looking interface. I am looking for guidance on the direction I should
> take.
>
> Option 1. Switch to form widgets since 90% work remains.
>
> Option 2. Stay with FTL since they potentially allow ultimate
> customization of screens.
>
> Other options?
>
> I would appreciate your suggestions.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - Guidance on Widgets vs FTLs

David E. Jones

This is a good general guideline. The only real exception is the
ecommerce webapp which is meant to be more easily customize for a
specific look and feel because it is customer facing where such
things are more important. In general with the layout and such is
critical, plain old HTML-based templates (in FTL files) are the way
to go.

-David

On Feb 25, 2006, at 11:07 AM, Al Byers wrote:

> Vinay,
>
> Having coded a good bit of the widget functionality, I am partial
> to it.
> I do believe that it is the way that OFBiz will be going. We are
> trying
> to switch all screens to it. The goal is always to reduce code size
> while preserving flexibility. Since you can always call .ftl templates
> from within widget screens, there is not much reason not to use it.
>
> The multi-levels of the decorator screen includes makes it
> practical to
> have a fairly complex UI framework. Trying to do the same thing
> without
> using widget technology would get messy.
>
> Also, I believe that having your entire UI codebase in XML will
> make for
> some powerful generation and maintenance scripts down the road.
>
> -Al
>
> Vinay Agarwal wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I used ecommerce as base for my application which uses FTLs for most
>> screens instead of form widgets. I have built about 20 or so screens
>> (about 10% of total task) using FTLs based on ecommerce css but
>> having
>> increasing difficulty in making their output predictable. I am not
>> looking for any “slick” screens, just some clean and professional
>> looking interface. I am looking for guidance on the direction I
>> should
>> take.
>>
>> Option 1. Switch to form widgets since 90% work remains.
>>
>> Option 2. Stay with FTL since they potentially allow ultimate
>> customization of screens.
>>
>> Other options?
>>
>> I would appreciate your suggestions.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - Guidance on Widgets vs FTLs

Vinay Agarwal
I have decided to go with form widgets. Which application should I use as
base of how to do things?

This is a good general guideline. The only real exception is the
ecommerce webapp which is meant to be more easily customize for a
specific look and feel because it is customer facing where such
things are more important. In general with the layout and such is
critical, plain old HTML-based templates (in FTL files) are the way
to go.

-David

On Feb 25, 2006, at 11:07 AM, Al Byers wrote:

> Vinay,
>
> Having coded a good bit of the widget functionality, I am partial
> to it.
> I do believe that it is the way that OFBiz will be going. We are
> trying
> to switch all screens to it. The goal is always to reduce code size
> while preserving flexibility. Since you can always call .ftl templates
> from within widget screens, there is not much reason not to use it.
>
> The multi-levels of the decorator screen includes makes it
> practical to
> have a fairly complex UI framework. Trying to do the same thing
> without
> using widget technology would get messy.
>
> Also, I believe that having your entire UI codebase in XML will
> make for
> some powerful generation and maintenance scripts down the road.
>
> -Al
>
> Vinay Agarwal wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I used ecommerce as base for my application which uses FTLs for most
>> screens instead of form widgets. I have built about 20 or so screens
>> (about 10% of total task) using FTLs based on ecommerce css but
>> having
>> increasing difficulty in making their output predictable. I am not
>> looking for any "slick" screens, just some clean and professional
>> looking interface. I am looking for guidance on the direction I
>> should
>> take.
>>
>> Option 1. Switch to form widgets since 90% work remains.
>>
>> Option 2. Stay with FTL since they potentially allow ultimate
>> customization of screens.
>>
>> Other options?
>>
>> I would appreciate your suggestions.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - Guidance on Widgets vs FTLs

The easiest one is the "example" component...

-David