Users - Layout broken in IE and fine in NS & firefox

Users - Layout broken in IE and fine in NS & firefox

Walter Vaughan
In showing ofbiz to one of our developers of course the first thing he found is
many busted layouts starting in the ecommerce module that I have not seen
because I had been looking at it in Netscape 7.2.

He found it first on the opentaps demo website and also on our svn download of
last week when viewed with Internet Explorer.

Places like
https://hostname:8443/ecommerce/control/orderhistory
https://hostname:8443/ecommerce/control/contactus

The content is pushed way down the page and in the case of the "Contact us" page
the words "Contact Us" are invisible at the top of the window. Pages look fine
with firefox & NS.

Where do I post errors like this?

Of coure he thinks now that this reflects the rest of the quality of ofbiz.

--
Walter

Re: Users - Layout broken in IE and fine in NS & firefox

David E. Jones

The ecommerce templates are really meant to be customized. Some use them out of the box, but most major sites do not. There has been an effort underway to "modernize" the layout to make it more flexible, and more CSS-based, especially for the layout. The initial target for this effort is the Mozilla-based browsers like Firefox and Netscape because they do not have nearly as many bugs and quirks as IE 6. Hopefully IE 7 will be better, but given the track record...

Anyway, you can file these as bugs in Jira but I don't know if anyone is working on IE based formatting right now anyway, especially not until the rest of the CSS formatting is done and we can start worrying about IE-specific issues (which certainly has to be done, no good ecommerce site can live without it...).

The problem is that there is no good way to fund this, so it is volunteer effort with dozens of other needs competing for the time. Most of the funding in the HTML/CSS area goes into custom sites, not improving the base templates. When customizing the only thing people care about in the base templates is the data preparation and such...

-David

Walter Vaughan wrote:

> In showing ofbiz to one of our developers of course the first thing he found is
> many busted layouts starting in the ecommerce module that I have not seen
> because I had been looking at it in Netscape 7.2.
>
> He found it first on the opentaps demo website and also on our svn download of
> last week when viewed with Internet Explorer.
>
> Places like
> https://hostname:8443/ecommerce/control/orderhistory
> https://hostname:8443/ecommerce/control/contactus
>
> The content is pushed way down the page and in the case of the "Contact us" page
> the words "Contact Us" are invisible at the top of the window. Pages look fine
> with firefox & NS.
>
> Where do I post errors like this?
>
> Of coure he thinks now that this reflects the rest of the quality of ofbiz.
>
> --
> Walter

Re: Users - Layout broken in IE and fine in NS & firefox

cjhowe
This is actually the infamous "Peekaboo" bug in IE.
Anytime you have a float and a CSS declaration doesn't
give a height, IE will render the DIV incorrectly and
will disappear and reappear (peekaboo).  Do a google
serach for "Peekaboo bug".  It's usually fixed by just
specifying a height the the tag that's messing up.  I
believe for most of Ecommerce it's the screenlet or
screenlet header tag.  Although I'm sure it's more
than the single tag.

Walter Vaughan wrote:
> In showing ofbiz to one of our developers of course
the first thing he found is
> many busted layouts starting in the ecommerce module
that I have not seen
> because I had been looking at it in Netscape 7.2.
>
> He found it first on the opentaps demo website and
also on our svn download of
> last week when viewed with Internet Explorer.
>
> Places like
> https://hostname:8443/ecommerce/control/orderhistory
> https://hostname:8443/ecommerce/control/contactus
>
> The content is pushed way down the page and in the
case of the "Contact us" page
> the words "Contact Us" are invisible at the top of
the window. Pages look fine
> with firefox & NS.
>
> Where do I post errors like this?
>
> Of coure he thinks now that this reflects the rest
of the quality of ofbiz.

> --
> Walter

Re: Users - Layout broken in IE and fine in NS & firefox

Ruth Hoffman
All:
One thing I found that helps (if you don't want to be in the business of
coding for all those deviant IE behaviors)  is a Javascript library
called "IE7". Of course, its Javascript, so you have those issues to
contend with :-) But,  you simply install the libraries and let them
normalize your CSS to work with non-standard versions of IE.

You can find out more info here:  http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/ or check
out the Sourceforge link:
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=109983&package_id=119707

Ruth

Chris Howe wrote:

> This is actually the infamous "Peekaboo" bug in IE.
> Anytime you have a float and a CSS declaration doesn't
> give a height, IE will render the DIV incorrectly and
> will disappear and reappear (peekaboo).  Do a google
> serach for "Peekaboo bug".  It's usually fixed by just
> specifying a height the the tag that's messing up.  I
> believe for most of Ecommerce it's the screenlet or
> screenlet header tag.  Although I'm sure it's more
> than the single tag.

[code]
[/code]

Okay, from reading about this I am thinking we need to add in "line-height: 1.2"
into "div style =" tag above. Where in g*d's green earth would I find where this
in the source code, and if I do get a fix how do go about submitting a patch?

--
Walter

Re: Users - Layout broken in IE and fine in NS & firefox

Ruth Hoffman
IMHO, this should always be done in the style sheet where the
screenlet/screenlet-header is defined. Try looking at
~framework/images/webapp/images/ecommain.css and do a search on
screenlet-header.

As for submitting a patch...I'd like to know how to do it as well.

Good luck.
Ruth

From: "Ruth Hoffman" <[hidden email]>

> IMHO, this should always be done in the style sheet where the
> screenlet/screenlet-header is defined. Try looking at
> ~framework/images/webapp/images/ecommain.css and do a search on
> screenlet-header.
>
> As for submitting a patch...I'd like to know how to do it as well.

Ruth,

The best way to submit a patch is Jira : http://jira.undersunconsulting.com

If you don't know how to make one : use "svn di" in a terminal (Linux) or Cmd
command (Windows)
You may also use "Create patch" with subclipse in Eclipse (either in Linux or
Windows) or "Create patch" with tortoise svn on Windows

Hope This Help

Jacques