Users - Party and Timezones

Vinay Agarwal
Hello,

My application needs timezone setting for each party. I haven't been able to
find any timezone setting for the party--is there one? If not, what's the
preferred way for adding it? I assume modifying the party entity is NOT the
preferred way. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - Party and Timezones

David E. Jones

This is a tricky one since it may be correct to say that a given
Party corresponds to a single time zone. On the other hand, I guess
it depends on what you want to do with it... it may be that having
more than one time zone would mess up what you are trying to do. In
general the time zone probably goes along best with the Postal
Address, or perhaps even the Telecom Number. If you need a single
field, or call it a "preferredTimeZone" or something along those
lines to make it clear that it isn't supposed to be the only one,
then putting it right on the Party entity is not a bad way to go.

-David

On Jan 20, 2006, at 1:44 PM, Vinay Agarwal wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My application needs timezone setting for each party. I haven't
> been able to
> find any timezone setting for the party--is there one? If not,
> what's the
> preferred way for adding it? I assume modifying the party entity is
> NOT the
> preferred way. Any suggestions?
>
> Regards,
> Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - Party and Timezones

Vinay Agarwal
On second thought, it may be better to associate timezone with a UserLogin
considering a party may have users in different locations. This of course,
assumes that a single login is used by a single user who would have a
preferred timezone. Would this be better than assigning it to a party?

Regards,
Vinay Agarwal

This is a tricky one since it may be correct to say that a given
Party corresponds to a single time zone. On the other hand, I guess
it depends on what you want to do with it... it may be that having
more than one time zone would mess up what you are trying to do. In
general the time zone probably goes along best with the Postal
Address, or perhaps even the Telecom Number. If you need a single
field, or call it a "preferredTimeZone" or something along those
lines to make it clear that it isn't supposed to be the only one,
then putting it right on the Party entity is not a bad way to go.

-David

On Jan 20, 2006, at 1:44 PM, Vinay Agarwal wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My application needs timezone setting for each party. I haven't
> been able to
> find any timezone setting for the party--is there one? If not,
> what's the
> preferred way for adding it? I assume modifying the party entity is
> NOT the
> preferred way. Any suggestions?
>
> Regards,
> Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - Party and Timezones

No, I think Party would actually be better than UserLogin. From a
modeling perspective and considering the intent of the different
entities UserLogin doesn't make much sense, unless I really mis-
understand what you intend to use this for and what it would mean.
The UserLogin entity is part of the security data model and the only
reasons a Party would have multiple UserLogin records would be for
different permission sets or to change the UserLogin but still
reserve the old one for tracking/auditing purposes and such.

-David

On Jan 21, 2006, at 6:09 PM, Vinay Agarwal wrote:

> On second thought, it may be better to associate timezone with a
> UserLogin
> considering a party may have users in different locations. This of
> course,
> assumes that a single login is used by a single user who would have a
> preferred timezone. Would this be better than assigning it to a party?
>
> Regards,
> Vinay Agarwal

Charles Johnson-2
What about joining Person to timezone?

CJ

David E. Jones wrote:

> No, I think Party would actually be better than UserLogin. From a
> modeling perspective and considering the intent of the different
> entities UserLogin doesn't make much sense, unless I really mis-
> understand what you intend to use this for and what it would mean.
> The UserLogin entity is part of the security data model and the only
> reasons a Party would have multiple UserLogin records would be for
> different permission sets or to change the UserLogin but still
> reserve the old one for tracking/auditing purposes and such.
>
> -David
>

> On Jan 21, 2006, at 6:09 PM, Vinay Agarwal wrote:
>
>> On second thought, it may be better to associate timezone with a
>> UserLogin
>> considering a party may have users in different locations. This of
>> course,
>> assumes that a single login is used by a single user who would have a
>> preferred timezone. Would this be better than assigning it to a party?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Vinay Agarwal

Why Person? This would imply that the timezone doesn't apply to other types of parties, for example the party group type. Is that what is intended? If so, why?

Perhaps i shouldn't have volunteered that suggestion as i'm not very
familiar with the ER yet. The reason i made it is that a Person can only
be unitary and other entities may span multiple time zones.

CJ

David E. Jones wrote:

>Why Person? This would imply that the timezone doesn't apply to other types of parties, for example the party group type. Is that what is intended? If so, why?
>
>-David

Daniel Kunkel
CJ

I'm guessing you mean for the time zone data to mostly to be used in
scheduling... For example:

Have a local representation of the time the company planned the video
conference.

See the local time that an e-mail arrived.

Can you expand on any other uses you've considered?

Is there any way this information could be automatically obtained from
the browser during the session, rather than something that would require
specifically setting. If so, would we really want it added to the
datamodel?

Thanks

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 21:13 +0000, Charles Johnson wrote:

> Perhaps i shouldn't have volunteered that suggestion as i'm not very
> familiar with the ER yet. The reason i made it is that a Person can only
> be unitary and other entities may span multiple time zones.
>
> CJ
>
> David E. Jones wrote:
>
> >Why Person? This would imply that the timezone doesn't apply to other types of parties, for example the party group type. Is that what is intended? If so, why?
> >
> >-David

Users - Foreign Currency Prices Show Up Zero

Vinay Agarwal
Hello,

I have one store (defaultCurrencyUomId="USD") that has two catalogs, one
that has prices in USD and the other in INR (Indian Rupee). The catalog with
USD prices shows correct prices but the catalog with INR prices shows 0
prices. In this catalog, if I just change the ProductPrice entity for any
product to have currencyUomId="USD" (from currencyUomId="INR"), the price
shows up correctly in USD. What am I missing? Do I need to define something
else somewhere (which may have already been defined for USD)?

Regards,
Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - Foreign Currency Prices Show Up Zero

David E. Jones

Typically different ProductStores are used for different currency and
other such settings, not catalogs. You might have more luck that way...

-David

On Jan 22, 2006, at 3:41 PM, Vinay Agarwal wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have one store (defaultCurrencyUomId="USD") that has two
> catalogs, one
> that has prices in USD and the other in INR (Indian Rupee). The
> catalog with
> USD prices shows correct prices but the catalog with INR prices
> shows 0
> prices. In this catalog, if I just change the ProductPrice entity
> for any
> product to have currencyUomId="USD" (from currencyUomId="INR"), the
> price
> shows up correctly in USD. What am I missing? Do I need to define
> something
> else somewhere (which may have already been defined for USD)?
>
> Regards,
> Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - Foreign Currency Prices Show Up Zero

Vinay Agarwal
I also get
        Could not find a valid price for the product with ID [I-ACCDC01],
not
        adding to cart.

When I searched for this error message in the mailing list, I found the
following comment:

        Re: Users - Missing prices?
        by Jacopo Cappellato 2005-12-15 21:
        Also,
        make sure that your prices are in the same currency as the product
        store's currency.
        Jacopo

My store's default currency is USD. Does that mean I can not put prices in
any other currency? Is there a way around?

Regards,
Vinay Agarwal