Users - Static Content URLs

Mark Mantarro

I came across this setting in the url.properties file and wanted to know if it would solve a problem for me.

# Static Content URLs to make it easy to move the serving load for static content to other machines

# -- thse are for general content such as images, js & css files, or non-dynamic HTML files

content.url.prefix.secure=

content.url.prefix.standard=

My image files are sitting on a different server from my OFBIZ system.  How can I efficiently reference them so they don’t add overhead to the server or network connection?

Right now I reference them by adding the URL in product settings, but does this setting help make things faster/easier…. If not, what does?

Mark

Re: Users - Static Content URLs

Andrew Sykes
Mark,

Sitting apache in front of the app server gives you a few options...

We use Apache with mod_proxy and mod_rewrite, this allows us to
reference static files from a different location.

I think you can do the same with AJP although someone else will probably
know more about this...
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>

Re: Users - Static Content URLs

The whole point of these prefixes are to point to a different server
for content, even a server in another data center or an edge routed
server/service like Akamai.

-David

On Jan 25, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Mark Mantarro wrote:

> I came across this setting in the url.properties file and wanted to
> know if it would solve a problem for me.
>

> # Static Content URLs to make it easy to move the serving load for
> static content to other machines
>
> # -- thse are for general content such as images, js & css files,
> or non-dynamic HTML files
>
> content.url.prefix.secure=
>
> content.url.prefix.standard=
>

> My image files are sitting on a different server from my OFBIZ
> system.  How can I efficiently reference them so they don’t add
> overhead to the server or network connection?
>

> Right now I reference them by adding the URL in product settings,
> but does this setting help make things faster/easier…. If not, what
> does?
>

> Mark

Re: Users - Static Content URLs

Mark Mantarro
Still not sure on how to setup...  This will automatically prefix whatever I
have in product url?

(e.g. in url.properties I would set up http://myexternalserver.com/images

        In the product URL I would have
                small url: /thumb/xxx.jpg
                med url: /med/xxx.jpg
)

So then then OFBiz would know the xxx.jpg files exist off the app server and
put together the correct small url of...

http://myexternalserver.com/images/thumb/xxx.jpg

Is that all there is to the setup?

Thanks,
Mark

The whole point of these prefixes are to point to a different server
for content, even a server in another data center or an edge routed
server/service like Akamai.

-David

On Jan 25, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Mark Mantarro wrote:

> I came across this setting in the url.properties file and wanted to
> know if it would solve a problem for me.
>

> # Static Content URLs to make it easy to move the serving load for
> static content to other machines
>
> # -- thse are for general content such as images, js & css files,
> or non-dynamic HTML files
>
> content.url.prefix.secure=
>
> content.url.prefix.standard=
>

> My image files are sitting on a different server from my OFBIZ
> system.  How can I efficiently reference them so they don't add
> overhead to the server or network connection?
>

> Right now I reference them by adding the URL in product settings,
> but does this setting help make things faster/easier.. If not, what
> does?
>

> Mark

Re: Users - Static Content URLs

David E. Jones

Yeah, it's pretty much that simple. It just appends the image URL for
the product to the prefix in the url.properties file (or it can also
be set per webapp on the WebSite entity).

-David

On Jan 25, 2006, at 2:03 PM, Mark Mantarro wrote:

> Still not sure on how to setup...  This will automatically prefix
> whatever I
> have in product url?
>
> (e.g. in url.properties I would set up http://myexternalserver.com/
> images
>
> In the product URL I would have
> small url: /thumb/xxx.jpg
> med url: /med/xxx.jpg
> )
>
> So then then OFBiz would know the xxx.jpg files exist off the app
> server and
> put together the correct small url of...
>
> http://myexternalserver.com/images/thumb/xxx.jpg
>
> Is that all there is to the setup?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Once you have that prefix, if you want the images to be hosted
elsewhere, you need to have something on your server that intercepts the
request before it reaches tomcat and then "proxies" that request
elsewhere based on a rule identifying that prefix.

The "something" used to intercept the request is more-often-than-not the
Apache Web Server.

Using Apache, you have two options for passing and filtering requests.
1/ AJP13, This is the most common approach using the bespoke ajp13
protocol to pass requests to a java app server, OFBiz is pretty much
configured ajp13 ready.
2/ mod_proxy/mod_rewrite. This is a more powerful setup for doing all
sorts of fancy load balancing tricks and URL rewriting via regexps. The
biggest drawback of this setup - Apache is acting as a proxy and
therefore modifies the request-header so OFBiz records all requests as
coming from the proxy rather than the client - which is pretty useless
if you need an ip for some reason!

Bear in mind that in 2/ SSL certs need to be installed with Apache, not
with Tomcat (otherwise Apache is a man-in-the-middle). I can't remember
where they go in 1/ but I'm guessing it's Tomcat (hopefully someone can
confirm)

I hope that helps.
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Users - Static Content URLs

Ray Barlow
We do host the static content on one of our sites, with the method
you've mentioned below, on another server altogether. We use the dns
address management to take care of redirection rather than using Apache
to proxy/redirect it. Basically once ofbiz has returned the page the
clients browser sends it's content requests to another server. The app
server is still fronted by Apache and linked to ofbiz through ajp13, as
that leaves us with plenty of flexibility to manage other sites and
services at the front end.

We've left the secure content url alone as we don't have ssl configured
on the static content server and generally most of the load comes from
people shopping/browsing in non-ssl pages. Just a simple synch to keep
the two servers inline with regards to static content.

Ray

Mark Mantarro wrote:

>Still not sure on how to setup...  This will automatically prefix whatever I
>have in product url?
>
>(e.g. in url.properties I would set up http://myexternalserver.com/images
>
> In the product URL I would have
> small url: /thumb/xxx.jpg
> med url: /med/xxx.jpg
>)
>
>So then then OFBiz would know the xxx.jpg files exist off the app server and
>put together the correct small url of...
>
>http://myexternalserver.com/images/thumb/xxx.jpg
>
>Is that all there is to the setup?
>
>Thanks,
>Mark

Ok,

This seems to now be outside the scope of OFBIZ, but it is important for
others like me who are trying to bring up an instance for the first time.

So based on David and Andrew's responses this is my understanding.

You can prefix all Static Content by adding a URL prefix in the settings of
Website ( Standard Content Prefix ).  Once set, you can store your images in
a place independent of OFBIZ.

HOWEVER, this will not reduce the traffic on the OFBIZ server because the
included webserver/servlet (Catalina/Jetty) is still handling to movement of
the images.  To truly move that load, you must ALSO use one of the
strategies below. (I will have to research these as I am more of a database
person and a bit light on webapps.)

Let me know if I missed the point.  Thanks for all your responses.

Mark

Re: Users - Static Content URLs

Andrew Sykes
Mark,

Yes, it sounds like you've got the idea.

Remember also to consider the third strategy suggested by Ray i.e. using
DNS management to redirect based on the content prefix.

Ray: I'd be interested to hear how painful (or otherwise) the DNS route
is...

Good luck with it all Mark.
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Users - Static Content URLs

Ray Barlow
Mark,

My last reply does point out that you can remove the traffic load by
making the url point to a different dns name.

To be more clear lets say the main site is:
www.ourmainsite.com - some IP like 123.123.123.123, running ofbiz, maybe
Apache if preferred.
content site is:
images.ourmainsite.com - some other IP like 456.456.456.456, running
just Apache.

This way the first page request hits the ofbiz 123.123. 123. 123 server,
it returns the dynamic html page and the browser then requests the page
content (images, css) etc from the content server 456.456.456.456.

Ray

Mark Mantarro wrote:

>Ok,
>
>This seems to now be outside the scope of OFBIZ, but it is important for
>others like me who are trying to bring up an instance for the first time.
>
>So based on David and Andrew's responses this is my understanding.
>
>You can prefix all Static Content by adding a URL prefix in the settings of
>Website ( Standard Content Prefix ).  Once set, you can store your images in
>a place independent of OFBIZ.
>
>HOWEVER, this will not reduce the traffic on the OFBIZ server because the
>included webserver/servlet (Catalina/Jetty) is still handling to movement of
>the images.  To truly move that load, you must ALSO use one of the
>strategies below. (I will have to research these as I am more of a database
>person and a bit light on webapps.)
>
>Let me know if I missed the point.  Thanks for all your responses.
>
>Mark

Ray, Mark,

Sorry I misunderstood (Ray), I thought you were referring to a DNS based
load balancer...

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 15:04 +0000, Ray wrote:

> Mark,
>
> My last reply does point out that you can remove the traffic load by
> making the url point to a different dns name.
>
> To be more clear lets say the main site is:
> www.ourmainsite.com - some IP like 123.123.123.123, running ofbiz, maybe
> Apache if preferred.
> content site is:
> images.ourmainsite.com - some other IP like 456.456.456.456, running
> just Apache.
>
> This way the first page request hits the ofbiz 123.123. 123. 123 server,
> it returns the dynamic html page and the browser then requests the page
> content (images, css) etc from the content server 456.456.456.456.
>
> Ray
>

> Mark Mantarro wrote:
>
> >Ok,
> >
> >This seems to now be outside the scope of OFBIZ, but it is important for
> >others like me who are trying to bring up an instance for the first time.
> >
> >So based on David and Andrew's responses this is my understanding.
> >
> >You can prefix all Static Content by adding a URL prefix in the settings of
> >Website ( Standard Content Prefix ).  Once set, you can store your images in
> >a place independent of OFBIZ.
> >
> >HOWEVER, this will not reduce the traffic on the OFBIZ server because the
> >included webserver/servlet (Catalina/Jetty) is still handling to movement of
> >the images.  To truly move that load, you must ALSO use one of the
> >strategies below. (I will have to research these as I am more of a database
> >person and a bit light on webapps.)
> >
> >Let me know if I missed the point.  Thanks for all your responses.
> >
> >Mark

Sorry, nothing as complicated as a DNS load balancer, in summary a very simple solution as no proxy or reg-exp to set up either. I didn't have a need to make it complicated just thought it worth while removing some of the traffic from the main server, which was a little stretched at times.

Ray

Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ray, Mark,

Sorry I misunderstood (Ray), I thought you were referring to a DNS based
load balancer...

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 15:04 +0000, Ray wrote:

> Mark,
>
> My last reply does point out that you can remove the traffic load by
> making the url point to a different dns name.
>
> To be more clear lets say the main site is:
> www.ourmainsite.com - some IP like 123.123.123.123, running ofbiz, maybe
> Apache if preferred.
> content site is:
> images.ourmainsite.com - some other IP like 456.456.456.456, running
> just Apache.
>
> This way the first page request hits the ofbiz 123.123. 123. 123 server,
> it returns the dynamic html page and the browser then requests the page
> content (images, css) etc from the content server 456.456.456.456.
>
> Ray
>

> Mark Mantarro wrote:
>
> >Ok,
> >
> >This seems to now be outside the scope of OFBIZ, but it is important for
> >others like me who are trying to bring up an instance for the first time.
> >
> >So based on David and Andrew's responses this is my understanding.
> >
> >You can prefix all Static Content by adding a URL prefix in the settings of
> >Website ( Standard Content Prefix ). Once set, you can store your images in
> >a place independent of OFBIZ.
> >
> >HOWEVER, this will not reduce the traffic on the OFBIZ server because the
> >included webserver/servlet (Catalina/Jetty) is still handling to movement of
> >the images. To truly move that load, you must ALSO use one of the
> >strategies below. (I will have to research these as I am more of a database
> >person and a bit light on webapps.)
> >
> >Let me know if I missed the point. Thanks for all your responses.
> >
> >Mark

Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Users - Static Content URLs

Andrew Sykes
Mark,

On the subject of the mod_proxy/mod_rewrite approach,

I've submitted a patch allowing OFBiz to get the client ip (rather than
the proxy ip) when a proxy is used (SVN rev 6595), so the ip objection
to using a proxy is no longer relevant.