Users - Validating imported data

Kenneth Porter
I'd like to take all my data from an existing PC-based homebrew ERP system
and import it into the MySQL DB backing my shiny new OFBiz demo
installation. What exists to validate the result? (I certainly don't want
to hand-enter all that data!)

Re: Users - Validating imported data

davidnwelton
Be careful with Mysql... it won't validate some kinds of data.  I've
had bad experiences with it personally:

http://journal.dedasys.com/articles/2006/03/17/mysql

On 3/31/06, Kenneth Porter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd like to take all my data from an existing PC-based homebrew ERP system
> and import it into the MySQL DB backing my shiny new OFBiz demo
> installation. What exists to validate the result? (I certainly don't want
> to hand-enter all that data!)

Re: Users - Validating imported data

Kenneth Porter
On Friday, March 31, 2006 10:45 PM +0200 David Welton
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Be careful with Mysql... it won't validate some kinds of data.  I've
> had bad experiences with it personally:
>
> http://journal.dedasys.com/articles/2006/03/17/mysql

My presumption was that the required OFBiz constraints weren't entirely
reflected in the underlying DB, and were partly encapsulated in the data
entry routines, so if one inserted data directly into the DB, some kind of
validation would have to be run to ensure that the data met the
expectations of the code.

Re: Users - Validating imported data

BJ Freeman
The constraints are generated from the Entity definitions that create
the tables.
Depending on the version of mysql, this may or may not be a problem.

Kenneth Porter sent the following on 3/31/06 1:52 PM:

> On Friday, March 31, 2006 10:45 PM +0200 David Welton
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Be careful with Mysql... it won't validate some kinds of data.  I've
>>had bad experiences with it personally:
>>
>>http://journal.dedasys.com/articles/2006/03/17/mysql
>

> My presumption was that the required OFBiz constraints weren't entirely
> reflected in the underlying DB, and were partly encapsulated in the data
> entry routines, so if one inserted data directly into the DB, some kind of
> validation would have to be run to ensure that the data met the
> expectations of the code.

Re: Users - Validating imported data

Ray Barlow
To be clear the entity engine in ofbiz does not validate data against
foreign key constraints. It will create the FK constraints in the
database, but it is then down to the DB to enforce which is where not
all DBs are equal.

Ray