Users - can't send email

Re: Users - can't send email

Si Chen-2
Looks interesting.  So it would it replace JavaMailContainer and MCA's
potentially?

Andrew Sykes wrote:

> Thanks Si, I'll take a look.
>
> Nothing to do with OFBiz, but in case you're interested, there's some
> information on Mailets here...
> http://james.apache.org/design_objectives.html
> and
> http://james.apache.org/mailet/index.html
>
> They are very powerful, hence BJ and I raving on!
>
> - Andrew
>

> On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 09:48 -0700, Si Chen wrote:
>
>> I don't know what a Mailet/Matcher is, but you can download the
>> documentation we have:
>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=145855&package_id=189005
>>
>> and there are some notes about MCAs in the "Configuration and Setup" folder.
>>
>> Si
>>
>> Andrew Sykes wrote:
>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> "certain technical complexities" - whatever could you mean! :-)
>>>
>>> One advantage I can see to an embedded mail server is that you could
>>> have a lot more control of doing things like keeping POP accounts in
>>> sync. But then of course if you're using IMAP this might not be such a
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing the MCAs do something along the same lines as the
>>> Mailet/Matcher stuff? Is that correct?

Re: Users - [OFBiz] Mailets Matchers JAMES

Andrew Sykes
Si,

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 08:47 -0700, Si Chen wrote:
> Looks interesting.  So it would it replace JavaMailContainer and
> MCA's
> potentially?

I guess it could, and it is a standard thing, but on the other hand for
an OFBizer, MCA is probably (well, maybe) a lot easier to get on with.

I'm sure you don't need me to labour the point about how much of a bonus
an integrated mail server would be. It occurred to me that if James was
integrated we could easily build an openXchange type application. This I
guess would be right in your area of interest given the CRM component
etc.

HOWEVER, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of momentum behind JAMES
at present, and there's currently not even any plans to support IMAP.
Additionally, the architecture is rather bizarre. Of course the
unstoppable OFBiz could possibly change all that pretty quick!
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>

Re: Users - [OFBiz] Mailets Matchers JAMES

Si Chen-2
Yeah, that would be nice.  I'm actually working on enhancing the OFBiz JavaMailContainer right now, by the way.

The problems you point out with JAMES would be significant though.  Maybe we should go talk to them at Apache Con.

On Jun 8, 2006, at 9:09 AM, Andrew Sykes wrote:

an integrated mail server would be. It occurred to me that if James was

Re: Users - [OFBiz] Mailets Matchers JAMES

Andrew Sykes
Si,

Well, sadly, Portland isn't round the corner from Edinburgh/Leeds. But
it would be interesting to get a report on your findings - assuming
they're there!

I'm sure the JAMES guys would be pleased to see an upsurge in
interest/funding. If you watch the mailing list, you'll see them field
the same questions over and over...
1/ Why isn't there a management interface (other than telnet)?
2/ When is IMAP due?
3/ What the hell is Phoenix/Avalon!?
It got so depressing that I unsubscribed! Those poor guys do a good job,
with what I suspect is VERY limited funding.

It's a real shame, because it's a great mail server and I must admit
that in 2.5 years of using it, I've never seen it crash.

On IMAP, I read through the spec, and it seems there's nothing difficult
there, but it's certainly not just a job for a quiet weekend!

Finally, if all this hasn't put you off, there's a sourceforge project
called James-HA for clustering etc which you may be interested in...
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Users - [OFBiz] Mailets Matchers JAMES

davidnwelton
> Well, sadly, Portland isn't round the corner from Edinburgh/Leeds. But
> it would be interesting to get a report on your findings - assuming
> they're there!

Well, there is going to be an ApacheCon Europe in less than 20 days,
in Dublin, but I don't think any OFBiz guys are going to be there (nor
am I, for that matter).

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Users - [OFBiz] Mailets Matchers JAMES

Andrew Sykes
If it wasn't for the fact that I only learned of this on Monday, we
probably could have provided a presence - Ho Hum!

--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Users - [OFBiz] Mailets Matchers JAMES

Here is what  I am doing right now.
I use YPOP to access yahoo.
I have the james server running on the same sever, though it does not
need to be. I then set the java mail in ofbiz to access it.
I use james to fetch from all the other mail server and/or mail
accounts, the client has it also access the YPOP.

This setup works very well.
Si I saw your  http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-628
and made comments.

Si Chen sent the following on 6/8/06 10:35 AM:

> Yeah, that would be nice.  I'm actually working on enhancing the  OFBiz
> JavaMailContainer right now, by the way.
>
> The problems you point out with JAMES would be significant though.
> Maybe we should go talk to them at Apache Con.
>

> On Jun 8, 2006, at 9:09 AM, Andrew Sykes wrote:
>
>> an integrated mail server would be. It occurred to me that if James  was

Re: Users - can't send email

Si I don't have my mind totally around MCA yet, but it looks like they
might work, since they call one or more Action service(s).

the only thing is how to link the rules on success and failure to other
rules. In James, each mailet is executed in succession, unless the
success or Fail defines another mailet or function(service in ofbiz).
maybe using simple services. would work.
Also passing of the atlist between MCA's so any filtering by the
previous matcher would be available by the next.

James has a DB xml similar to ofbiz that would not be hard to convert.

as a note the other thing that james handles is NewsGroups (NNTP) and
mailing list.

IHMO I don't think James group would consider integration with ofbiz
just for the sake of a management interface.

Si Chen sent the following on 6/8/06 8:47 AM: