Users - running virtual hosts via apache

Users - running virtual hosts via apache

Hans Bakker
Good morning,
I am trying to run different domainnames on the same ofbiz instance via apache
remapping port 80->8081 and 443->8444 but have problems getting this working.
(default ofbiz ports changed)
There is no error in the log file but the application is not started...
Mapping one domeinname to the root and not using the virtual host parameter
on the ofbiz ocmponent file works ok.

Any way what is the preferred method? I searched through the wiki and
mailinglist and did what is mentioned on the wikipage:
http://ofbizwiki1.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=SSSMultiStores3

I tried with the following ofbiz-component.xml config:

 <webapp name="OpenWinkel" title="Open Winkel.nl" server="default-server"
              location="openwinke"  mount-point="/" app-bar-display="false">
    <virtual-host host-name="www.openwinkel.nl"/>
 </webapp>

 <webapp name="Vuurwerk" title="Vuurwerk shop"  server="default-server"
          location="vuurwerk"  mount-point="/"  app-bar-display="false">
    <virtual-host host-name="www.papo.nl"/>
 </webapp>

In apache V1.3 I am using the mod_proxy module and the following virtual
hosting config files:
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName openwinkel.nl
ServerAlias www.openwinkel.nl
ServerAdmin [hidden email]
ProxyVia On
ProxyPass / http://localhost:8081/
ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8081/
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
combined
CustomLog /var/log/apache/openwinkel.nl-access.log combined
ErrorLog /var/log/apache/openwinkel.com-error.log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName papo.nl
ServerAlias www.papo.nl
ServerAdmin [hidden email]
ProxyVia On
ProxyPass / http://localhost:8081/
ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8081/
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
combined
CustomLog /var/log/apache/papo.nl-access.log combined
ErrorLog /var/log/apache/papo.nl-error.log
</VirtualHost>

anybody has any ideas what I am missing here?

Hans Bakker
ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)

If you want to verify that this message really originates from
from the above person, download the public key from:
http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc

Re: Users - running virtual hosts via apache

David E. Jones

I'm not sure what might be going wrong from this description, but
generally if you are using Apache for virtual hosts you don't need to
also specify virtual hosts in for the embedded app server in the
ofbiz-component.xml file. You may also have more luck using mod_jk
and the AJP13 stuff when doing virtual hosts, I'm not sure about
issues with proxies and virtual hosts...

Of course, there are others on the list that have a lot more
experience with this than I do...

-David

On Dec 20, 2005, at 7:47 PM, Hans Bakker wrote:

> Good morning,
> I am trying to run different domainnames on the same ofbiz instance
> via apache
> remapping port 80->8081 and 443->8444 but have problems getting
> this working.
> (default ofbiz ports changed)
> There is no error in the log file but the application is not
> started...
> Mapping one domeinname to the root and not using the virtual host
> parameter
> on the ofbiz ocmponent file works ok.
>
> Any way what is the preferred method? I searched through the wiki and
> mailinglist and did what is mentioned on the wikipage:
> http://ofbizwiki1.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=SSSMultiStores3
>
> I tried with the following ofbiz-component.xml config:
>
>  <webapp name="OpenWinkel" title="Open Winkel.nl" server="default-
> server"
>      location="openwinke"  mount-point="/" app-bar-display="false">
>     <virtual-host host-name="www.openwinkel.nl"/>
>  </webapp>
>
>  <webapp name="Vuurwerk" title="Vuurwerk shop"  server="default-
> server"
>  location="vuurwerk"  mount-point="/"  app-bar-display="false">
>     <virtual-host host-name="www.papo.nl"/>
>  </webapp>
>
> In apache V1.3 I am using the mod_proxy module and the following
> virtual
> hosting config files:
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName openwinkel.nl
> ServerAlias www.openwinkel.nl
> ServerAdmin [hidden email]
> ProxyVia On
> ProxyPass / http://localhost:8081/
> ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8081/
> LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}
> i\""
> combined
> CustomLog /var/log/apache/openwinkel.nl-access.log combined
> ErrorLog /var/log/apache/openwinkel.com-error.log
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName papo.nl
> ServerAlias www.papo.nl
> ServerAdmin [hidden email]
> ProxyVia On
> ProxyPass / http://localhost:8081/
> ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8081/
> LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}
> i\""
> combined
> CustomLog /var/log/apache/papo.nl-access.log combined
> ErrorLog /var/log/apache/papo.nl-error.log
> </VirtualHost>
>

> anybody has any ideas what I am missing here?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Hans Bakker
> ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)
>
> If you want to verify that this message really originates from
> from the above person, download the public key from:
> http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc

Re: Users - running virtual hosts via apache

Brett
We use Apache2 with mod_jk.  There are several how-to docs on Apache
for configuring mod_jk.  Apache/mod_jk has worked very well for us and
allows us to work with different ofbiz instances as well as some of
our PHP pages.

mod_jk uses Apache ajp protocol to communicate with ofbiz/tomcat.  The
AJP settings are found in the ofbiz-containers.xml file (base/config).
 I don't know if AJP is turned on by default but you should give it a
try.

Brett

On 12/20/05, David E. Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > ServerAdmin [hidden email]
> > ProxyVia On
> > ProxyPass / http://localhost:8081/
> > ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8081/
> > LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}
> > i\""
> > combined
> > CustomLog /var/log/apache/papo.nl-access.log combined
> > ErrorLog /var/log/apache/papo.nl-error.log
> > </VirtualHost>
> >

> > anybody has any ideas what I am missing here?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Hans Bakker
> > ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)
> >
> > If you want to verify that this message really originates from
> > from the above person, download the public key from:
> > http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc

RE: Users - running virtual hosts via apache

Firas A.-2

I agree with Brett; mod_jk2 is probably a better choice. I'm using similar
configuration myself: Tomcat (embedded in OFBiz) behind Apache.

At times, such a configuration can get very tricky, but I found these two
resources to be very helpful:

* Multiple Instances
http://ofbizwiki1.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=SSSMultiInstances

* Getting started with mod_jk2
http://www.gknw.com/development/apache/docs/win32/mod_jk2/mod_jk2-getting_st
arted.html

Good luck!

</Firas>

Re: Users - running virtual hosts via apache

David E. Jones

For those looking into this mod_jk is probably a better choice than
mod_jk2. The old mod_jk project is more active and stable right now,
and as I understand it not much is happening these days with mod_jk2
and there are issues with it.

-David

On Dec 21, 2005, at 2:11 AM, Firas A. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I agree with Brett; mod_jk2 is probably a better choice. I'm using
> similar
> configuration myself: Tomcat (embedded in OFBiz) behind Apache.
>
> At times, such a configuration can get very tricky, but I found
> these two
> resources to be very helpful:
>
> * Multiple Instances
> http://ofbizwiki1.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=SSSMultiInstances
>
> * Getting started with mod_jk2
> http://www.gknw.com/development/apache/docs/win32/mod_jk2/mod_jk2-
> getting_st
> arted.html
>
> Good luck!
>

> </Firas>

Andrew Sykes
Hans,

We do something similar to this, but we use mod_rewrite too. No need to
specify virtual hosts in Tomcat, just create different local mount-
points, so your apache config would change to something like...

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerAlias papo.nl
    ServerAlias www.papo.nl
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule   ^/papo(.*)$  http://localhost:8080/papo$1  [P,L]
    RewriteRule   ^/(.*)$  http://localhost:8080/papo/$1  [P,L]
    ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/papo/
</VirtualHost>

Kind Regards
--
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd

Re: Users - running virtual hosts via apache

Andrew Sykes
Incidentally, we chose mod_rewrite/mod_proxy over mod_jk because we had
all kinds of issues with mod_jk and it didn't seem anywhere near as
flexible as the mod_rewrite/mod_proxy route.

Kind Regards
--
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd

Re: Users - running virtual hosts via apache

Daniel Kunkel
Hi

How many people are implementing multiple instances of OFBiz on the same
machine?

How hard would it be to implement a host name ==> database connector
that would change the database depending on the url of the request:

http://www.domain1.com/ecommerce/...   ==>  domain1 database
http://www.domain2.com/ecommerce/...   ==>  domain2 database
http://www.domain3.com/ecommerce/...   ==>  domain3 database

Is that something many people would find useful?

Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           [hidden email]
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.WizCity.com  http://www.Illusion-Optical.com
*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Users - OFBiz clustering

Andrew Sykes
Hi,

We're looking into setting up an OFBiz cluster, there seems to be quite
a few options open to us, can anyone recommend a specific approach and
some relevant docs?
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>

Users - debug verbose can cause errors on slow machines

BJ Freeman
I happen to set the debug to verbose on start up and got a slots of
errors when try to access thru the web.
as soon as I set the debug verbose and timing to false the problems went
away.

Thought if any one else did this, this note would help.

Re: Users - running virtual hosts via apache

Hans Bakker
Hi Everybody,

thanks everybody very much for the many replies. I spend 2 days on this
subject and that certainly is not enough to investigate the possibilities.

Perhaps it is interesting to report what I found.

There are at least 3 possibilities:

1. only mod_proxy, currently the demo ofbiz site on ofbiz.org is running in
that mode, the virtual files for apache 1.3 are attached (demo-ofbiz &
ssl-demo-ofbiz) I run a production ofbiz at the same server with similar
virtual files but obviously different ports and domainnames.
The problem with this setup is that the ip number of the client is not
forwarded to ofbiz (only possble in apache 2) and loadbalancing over more
that one server could be a problem, I am not sure.

2. Currently i decided to use mod_jk because it is the easiest but the config
files are a bit strange, there should be 2 entries for every entry name. But
has no remapping of names.  Perhaps adding mod_rewrite is a solution. i did
not do that yet because this is a complicated product. It looks performance
wise the best solution and has loadbalancing. Attached the used files:
mod_jk.conf, vituals.conf and workers.properties.

3. The way Andrew suggested is to use mod_proxy and mod_rewrite. It is certain
the most flexible but also the most complicated one. I am not sure how you
would do load balancing here....

thanks again for your replies, it saved me a lot of time.

Hans Bakker
ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)

If you want to verify that this message really originates from
from the above person, download the public key from:
http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc

demo-ofbiz (462 bytes) Download Attachment
ssl-demo-ofbiz (7K) Download Attachment
mod_jk.conf (176 bytes) Download Attachment
virtuals.conf (1K) Download Attachment
workers.properties (541 bytes) Download Attachment

Users - RMI and Sync or direct access trough public IP ?

Si, Leon,

Do you think that "Mass ship shipment packages" can be adapted to publish
barcodes of products on standart paper labels ?
Perhpas using something like http://www.worldlabel.com/Pages/template_1.htm

Re: Users - OFBiz clustering

Florin T.PATRASCU (work)
Andrew Sykes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're looking into setting up an OFBiz cluster, there seems to be quite
> a few options open to us, can anyone recommend a specific approach and
> some relevant docs?

Any success on this topic Andrew?

Thank you!
-florin

Re: Users - OFBiz clustering

Tim Ruppert
I couldn't be a bigger believer in the fact that while it costs real
money - the hosting options at Contegix are worth their weight in gold.
Anyone who has these types of questions or wants a super-solid
deployment setup - please contact them.

They've made my most recent client migration from another host almost
too easy and have the in-depth Java and OFBiz knowledge to really make a
difference.  Check them out.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Florin T.PATRASCU (work) wrote:

> Andrew Sykes wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We're looking into setting up an OFBiz cluster, there seems to be quite
>> a few options open to us, can anyone recommend a specific approach and
>> some relevant docs?
>>

> Any success on this topic Andrew?
>
> Thank you!
> -florin

Re: Users - OFBiz clustering

Andrew Sykes
Florin,

Well, I don't believe anyone ever did answer that question, but...

There was some discussion of this a few days ago.

Using distributed-cache-clear, RMI etc...
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>

Re: Users - OFBiz clustering

Florin T.PATRASCU (work)
Hi Andrew,

I was looking for some more information than was/is posted to the list
and so far I found nothing clear enough to allow one to experiment
clustering with OFBiz. Or maybe I am looking from an incorrect perspective?!

Reading Tim's reply, I understand that "clustering" looks to be a well
guarded :) secret, so we may have to contact a commercial vendor for
consulting in case we cannot figure it out by ourselves.

I believe a clean and a step-by-step OFBiz-clustering HOWTO or similar,
will be very needed by the OFBiz community. A document like that, having
the blessing of David and Andy, will be very important for the
community. Maybe someone here has time and knowledge to start it?

For my team right now, we're only trying to conduct some stress tests on
OFBIz, therefore will be a little bit premature for our budget to pay
somebody big money for this but it looks like we have to.

Thanks anyway Andrew,
-florin

Andrew Sykes wrote:
> Florin,
>
> Well, I don't believe anyone ever did answer that question, but...
>
> There was some discussion of this a few days ago.
>
> Using distributed-cache-clear, RMI etc...

Re: Users - OFBiz clustering

Tim Ruppert
Florin, I didn't mean to lead you astray with my message, but I feel
like I might've.

What I was trying to articulate to you is that someone like Contegix
<http://www.contegix.com> offers hosting services where these problems
may be solved for you.  They also host VERY large customers that are
doing large amounts of traffic on these systems and could help you
understand your performance requirements.

Personally, we've chosen to host there because of their uptime SLA and
their in-depth knowledge of Java and specifically OFBiz.  It's just not
a combination that you find out there too often.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Florin T.PATRASCU (work) wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I was looking for some more information than was/is posted to the list
> and so far I found nothing clear enough to allow one to experiment
> clustering with OFBiz. Or maybe I am looking from an incorrect perspective?!
>
> Reading Tim's reply, I understand that "clustering" looks to be a well
> guarded :) secret, so we may have to contact a commercial vendor for
> consulting in case we cannot figure it out by ourselves.
>
> I believe a clean and a step-by-step OFBiz-clustering HOWTO or similar,
> will be very needed by the OFBiz community. A document like that, having
> the blessing of David and Andy, will be very important for the
> community. Maybe someone here has time and knowledge to start it?
>
> For my team right now, we're only trying to conduct some stress tests on
> OFBIz, therefore will be a little bit premature for our budget to pay
> somebody big money for this but it looks like we have to.
>
> Thanks anyway Andrew,
> -florin
>

> Andrew Sykes wrote:
>
>> Florin,
>>
>> Well, I don't believe anyone ever did answer that question, but...
>>
>> There was some discussion of this a few days ago.
>>
>> Using distributed-cache-clear, RMI etc...

Re: Users - OFBiz clustering

davidnwelton
> I was looking for some more information than was/is posted to the list
> and so far I found nothing clear enough to allow one to experiment
> clustering with OFBiz. Or maybe I am looking from an incorrect perspective?!

Are you looking to scale up, or to increase reliability?  I'm
interested primarily in the first, myself... not so much in
implementing it right now, but knowing that it's possible (security
blanket?:-).  We get tens of thousands of visitors a day...

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Users - OFBiz clustering

Florin T.PATRASCU (work)
I am looking  to scale it up primarily but also to increase the reliability as well.

While we have some in-house knowledge about doing it for applications hosted by JBoss, with OFBiz standalone we are not that far.

I guess that the new OFBiz running under Geronimo will offer some new features in respect of scaling the OFBiz apps, but we like to use the OFBiz framework as is, with no Geronimo added on the menu.

-florin