Users - users@lists.ofbiz.org

Jose Antonio Hdez

I am part of the referenced Mexican team that are beginning to learn/work with Ofbiz and of sure we would like to work in order to have OfBiz in Spanish. Only we need to coordinate this effort in order to avoid double efforts.

David, Could you help us with the coordination or give us some advices to a successful coordination (this is my first time interacting with an Open Source community)?

Regards

José Antonio Hernández

Soy parte del mencionado equipo de México que está iniciando para aprender/trabajar con OfBiz y seguro que nos interesa trabajar para tener OfBiz en español. Solo necesitamos tener una buena coordinación para evitar dobles esfuerzos.

David, ¿Podrías ayudarnos con la coordinación o darnos algunos consejos para que nos coordinemos exitosamente (es mi primera vez interactuando en una comunidad Open Source)?

Saludos

José Antonio Hernández

Re: Users - users@lists.ofbiz.org

David E. Jones

The best thing to do would be to manage it as if you "owned" it.
Pretty much everything in an open source community (and not all open
source "projects" are really community based) is done by someone in
the community spearheading the effort.

The first thing that typically needs to be done is to create some
sort of document describing what exists and what you would like to
have exist (ie a goal to hit). This is best to put in a Jira issue so
that everyone interested can have a central place to see the status
and keep up to date, and coordinate things. Larger efforts should be
split into multiple issues, but a Spanish translation should be okay
in a single issue.

For splitting it up: in this case once a list of all existing Spanish
translations is in place you can create a list of all components that
need translation work. Once that is put together people can start
volunteering for specific ones, or if they volunteer to do whatever
the "owner" can assign it to someone.

I hope that helps... It would be great to see more translation work
move forward. I think the best set of translations right now is to
French, and even that is not totally up to date. Even after the
initial push this is something that needs to be maintained over time.

There are tools, like the property editor in NetBeans, that can show
you which messages are missing in which languages, and then those can
be filled in over time as new messages are added in English (which is
where they _usually_ start).

-David

On Feb 14, 2006, at 7:11 PM, Jose Antonio Hdez wrote:

> I am part of the referenced Mexican team that are beginning to
> learn/work with Ofbiz and of sure we would like to work in order to
> have OfBiz in Spanish. Only we need to coordinate this effort in
> order to avoid double efforts.
>

> David, Could you help us with the coordination or give us some
> advices to a successful coordination (this is my first time
> interacting with an Open Source community)?
>

> Regards
>
> José Antonio Hernández
>

> Soy parte del mencionado equipo de México que está iniciando para
> aprender/trabajar con OfBiz y seguro que nos interesa trabajar para
> tener OfBiz en español. Solo necesitamos tener una buena
> coordinación para evitar dobles esfuerzos.
>

> David, ¿Podrías ayudarnos con la coordinación o darnos algunos
> consejos para que nos coordinemos exitosamente (es mi primera vez
> interactuando en una comunidad Open Source)?
>

> Saludos
>
> José Antonio Hernández

Re: Users - users@lists.ofbiz.org

BTW, as a side note: this thread involves development of OFBiz and
not usage of it so much, so we should probably move it to the dev
list. Sorry for not doing that in the last message, I didn't catch
that it was on the users list until after I clicked send...

-David

On Feb 14, 2006, at 7:11 PM, Jose Antonio Hdez wrote:

> I am part of the referenced Mexican team that are beginning to
> learn/work with Ofbiz and of sure we would like to work in order to
> have OfBiz in Spanish. Only we need to coordinate this effort in
> order to avoid double efforts.
>

> David, Could you help us with the coordination or give us some
> advices to a successful coordination (this is my first time
> interacting with an Open Source community)?
>

> Regards
>
> José Antonio Hernández
>

> Soy parte del mencionado equipo de México que está iniciando para
> aprender/trabajar con OfBiz y seguro que nos interesa trabajar para
> tener OfBiz en español. Solo necesitamos tener una buena
> coordinación para evitar dobles esfuerzos.
>

> David, ¿Podrías ayudarnos con la coordinación o darnos algunos
> consejos para que nos coordinemos exitosamente (es mi primera vez
> interactuando en una comunidad Open Source)?
>

> Saludos
>
> José Antonio Hernández

Re: Users - users@lists.ofbiz.org

> The best thing to do would be to manage it as if you "owned" it.
> Pretty much everything in an open source community (and not all open
> source "projects" are really community based) is done by someone in
> the community spearheading the effort.
>
> The first thing that typically needs to be done is to create some
> sort of document describing what exists and what you would like to
> have exist (ie a goal to hit). This is best to put in a Jira issue so
> that everyone interested can have a central place to see the status
> and keep up to date, and coordinate things. Larger efforts should be
> split into multiple issues, but a Spanish translation should be okay
> in a single issue.
>
> For splitting it up: in this case once a list of all existing Spanish
> translations is in place you can create a list of all components that
> need translation work. Once that is put together people can start
> volunteering for specific ones, or if they volunteer to do whatever
> the "owner" can assign it to someone.
>
> I hope that helps... It would be great to see more translation work
> move forward. I think the best set of translations right now is to
> French, and even that is not totally up to date. Even after the
> initial push this is something that needs to be maintained over time.
>
> There are tools, like the property editor in NetBeans, that can show
> you which messages are missing in which languages, and then those can
> be filled in over time as new messages are added in English (which is
> where they _usually_ start).

See also http://ofbizwiki1.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=EclipsePlugins
(ResourceBundle Editor (RBE))
And of course