When to vote on test release (aka 4.0.0 RC1)

When to vote on test release (aka 4.0.0 RC1)

David E Jones-2

I think the last thing we need to do before getting the actual
graduation started is the test release (test snapshot).

Christian Geisert reported some problems with the downloads from the
docs.ofbiz.org site. Has anyone else tried these? To help get around
possible problems with these (and traffic and memory limits on that
server...) I have also put these on people.apache.org. See below this
email for links there.

Anyway, to the real point... When will we be ready to vote on this
test release as a community? After a successful vote amongst
ourselves (with ppmc members having the binding votes), as I
understand it the next step after this is to submit it to the
Incubator PMC for review and voting, and then... I guess we ask for a
graduation vote...

It would be nice if as many people as possible could test these files
out, focusing on making sure that it works for you (ie you can
unarchive and run it), and that the MD5 checksum checks out, and that
the signing with my PGP key also checks out, oh and that all of the
legal notices and such are in place. If you want to help out you
don't have to do all of these things, just do what you can (and want
to).

Thanks in advance for everyone's help getting to this point. Now we
just have a little bit more to go... Unless this isn't possible for a
few key people, or problems are found with this test release, it
would be great to get the community test release vote finished this
week.

-David

http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-incubating-4.0.0.RC1.zip
http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
incubating-4.0.0.RC1.zip.asc
http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
incubating-4.0.0.RC1.zip.md5
http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-incubating-4.0.0.RC1.tgz
http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
incubating-4.0.0.RC1.tgz.asc
http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
incubating-4.0.0.RC1.tgz.md5

Re: When to vote on test release (aka 4.0.0 RC1)

davidnwelton
> It would be nice if as many people as possible could test these files
> out, focusing on making sure that it works for you (ie you can
> unarchive and run it), and that the MD5 checksum checks out, and that
> the signing with my PGP key also checks out, oh and that all of the
> legal notices and such are in place. If you want to help out you
> don't have to do all of these things, just do what you can (and want
> to).

I didn't have time for much more, but it downloads and builds on
Ubuntu 6.06 with Sun's Java 1.4.

One addition that I think would be handy is a README file along these
lines (feel free to copy it and add to it) in the top level directory:

----
Welcome to Apache OFBiz!

To start OFBiz, you will need Java 1.4 or later.

To build and run OFBiz, run 'ant run-install' in the top level directory.

To run OFBiz, run 'ant run' in the top level directory.

This runs OFBiz with the built-in Derby database engine.  For
production environments, you probably want to configure OFBiz to use
an external database.

For further information on configuring, running, and using OFBiz,
please see the documentation at X Y Z.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: When to vote on test release (aka 4.0.0 RC1)

I've downloaded and installed the *.zip archive under WinXP and
Java1.4.2 without any issues.
I like the idea of adding the small README document as suggested by
David Welton (I think we could add it into the svn repository as well).
I like the idea of starting the vote today: David, I think that you
could post a message to officially start it (my guess is that this will
induce others to test the RC1).

I really look forward at seeing the actual graduation for Apache
started: in the last few months we did all a lot of work in order to
accomplish all the tasks requested by the Apache Incubator process and I
really think that now it's time to finalize our efforts.

Jacopo

On Sep 14, 2006, at 7:19 AM, David Welton wrote:

> One addition that I think would be handy is a README file along these
> lines (feel free to copy it and add to it) in the top level directory:

This is a great suggestion David. I spent some time this evening
updating the Setup Guide and a few other things on the ofbiz web site
(they should be propagated soon), and I added a README file to SVN
that has basic info and then refers to these docs for more.

The README file mostly follows the pattern you put together, but has
a few differences. I would appreciate your (and anyone else's) feedback.

Re: When to vote on test release (aka 4.0.0 RC1)

Hans Bakker
Release test:

Suse Linux 10.0, 1Gb memory

Downloaded the
http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-incubating-4.0.0.RC1.tgz
file, ./ant run-install : no problems.

Startup error messages:
2006-09-15 13:12:20,635 (main) [    ModelViewEntity.java:458:WARN ] Conversion
for complex-alias needs to be implemented for cache and in-memory eval stuff
to work correctly, will not work for alias: statusDelay of view-entity
ExampleStatusDetail

Service [retryFailedAuthNsfs] threw an unexpected exception/error
Exception: org.ofbiz.service.GenericServiceException
Message: Service method does not exist
(org.ofbiz.accounting.payment.PaymentGatewayServices.retryNsfFailedAuths(org.ofbiz.service.DispatchContext,
java.util.Map))
---- stack trace
org.ofbiz.service.GenericServiceException: Service method does not exist
(org.ofbiz.accounting.payment.PaymentGatewayServices.retryNsfFailedAuths(org.ofbiz.service.DispatchContext,
java.util.Map))
org.ofbiz.service.engine.StandardJavaEngine.serviceInvoker(StandardJavaEngine.java:96)

did the entity performance checks: no problems

Hans Bakker
ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)

If you want to verify that this message really originates from
from the above person, download the public key from:
http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc

On Thursday 14 September 2006 12:14, David E Jones wrote:

> I think the last thing we need to do before getting the actual
> graduation started is the test release (test snapshot).
>
> Christian Geisert reported some problems with the downloads from the
> docs.ofbiz.org site. Has anyone else tried these? To help get around
> possible problems with these (and traffic and memory limits on that
> server...) I have also put these on people.apache.org. See below this
> email for links there.
>
> Anyway, to the real point... When will we be ready to vote on this
> test release as a community? After a successful vote amongst
> ourselves (with ppmc members having the binding votes), as I
> understand it the next step after this is to submit it to the
> Incubator PMC for review and voting, and then... I guess we ask for a
> graduation vote...
>
> It would be nice if as many people as possible could test these files
> out, focusing on making sure that it works for you (ie you can
> unarchive and run it), and that the MD5 checksum checks out, and that
> the signing with my PGP key also checks out, oh and that all of the
> legal notices and such are in place. If you want to help out you
> don't have to do all of these things, just do what you can (and want
> to).
>
> Thanks in advance for everyone's help getting to this point. Now we
> just have a little bit more to go... Unless this isn't possible for a
> few key people, or problems are found with this test release, it
> would be great to get the community test release vote finished this
> week.
>
> -David
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-incubating-4.0.0.RC1.zip
> http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
> incubating-4.0.0.RC1.zip.asc
> http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
> incubating-4.0.0.RC1.zip.md5
> http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-incubating-4.0.0.RC1.tgz
> http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
> incubating-4.0.0.RC1.tgz.asc
> http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
> incubating-4.0.0.RC1.tgz.md5

Re: When to vote on test release (aka 4.0.0 RC1)

David E Jones-2

Thanks for testing it Hans. BTW, did it run for you without doing an
"ant run-install"? This is a binary build so it should.

As for the startup errors: neither of these are critical, but the
real point of this "release" is to be a test snapshot to test the
release process. As I've written in the emails about this and on the
confluence page for the release this is not meant to be used as a
release by end users and there is no branch or real QA for it. The
only point is to test the release process, not really the state of
the code. So, the important things to check with this release are the
ones I mentioned before:

>> It would be nice if as many people as possible could test these files
>> out, focusing on making sure that it works for you (ie you can
>> unarchive and run it), and that the MD5 checksum checks out, and that
>> the signing with my PGP key also checks out, oh and that all of the
>> legal notices and such are in place. If you want to help out you
>> don't have to do all of these things, just do what you can (and want
>> to).

These are actually important issues for the project, of course. The
first one is just a warning and for details see my recent comments on
the mailing list. The second one has already been fixed in the trunk,
which is what will be used for the real upcoming release which will
also have a real branch, real release-specific issue tracking, and so
on.

On Sep 15, 2006, at 12:24 AM, Hans Bakker wrote:

> [...]
>> just have a little bit more to go... Unless this isn't possible for a
>> few key people, or problems are found with this test release, it
>> would be great to get the community test release vote finished this
>> week.
>>
>> -David
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
>> incubating-4.0.0.RC1.zip
>> http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
>> incubating-4.0.0.RC1.zip.asc
>> http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
>> incubating-4.0.0.RC1.zip.md5
>> http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
>> incubating-4.0.0.RC1.tgz
>> http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
>> incubating-4.0.0.RC1.tgz.asc
>> http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
>> incubating-4.0.0.RC1.tgz.md5

Re: When to vote on test release (aka 4.0.0 RC1)

Hi David,

i was already wondering why the run-install was so quickly...

i tried again, it also works directly without run-install

Hans

On Friday 15 September 2006 13:31, David E Jones wrote:

> [...]
> >> incubating-4.0.0.RC1.zip.asc
> >> http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
> >> incubating-4.0.0.RC1.zip.md5
> >> http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
> >> incubating-4.0.0.RC1.tgz
> >> http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
> >> incubating-4.0.0.RC1.tgz.asc
> >> http://people.apache.org/~jonesde/apache-ofbiz-
> >> incubating-4.0.0.RC1.tgz.md5
Hans Bakker
ANT Websystems Co.,Ltd (http://www.antwebsystems.com)

If you want to verify that this message really originates from
from the above person, download the public key from:
http://www.antwebsystems.com/hbakkerAntwebsystems.asc

Re: When to vote on test release (aka 4.0.0 RC1)

davidnwelton
> The README file mostly follows the pattern you put together, but has
> a few differences. I would appreciate your (and anyone else's) feedback.

I might wrap the lines at 65 characters.  Perhaps two more bits of
information would be pertinent:

Once OFBiz starts, you can look at the demo storefront at
http://localhost:8080/ecommerce/ and the administration interface at

David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: When to vote on test release (aka 4.0.0 RC1)

Jacopo Cappellato
Thanks David,

I've included your suggestions in rev 446556

Jacopo