couple of order entry questions

Si Chen-2
Hi everybody -

I have a couple of questions about order entry in ordermgr:

1.  Why is user email a required field?  If you're taking orders over
the phone, the customer might not have an email.  Is it OK if I made
this optional?

2.  Also, why is "Ship all at once" the default option?  Is it OK if
I made "allow split" the default option?

Si

Re: couple of order entry questions

janko-2
Hi Si,

well from my point of view your right with point 1 - that doesn't make
sense at all! So this option should be optional

but for point 2 i disagree with you - I would leave it as it is. If you
change it to "allow split" - It will cost normally more for the customer
and if you go to other online-Shop systems (as fas as i can remember)
the option "Ship all at once" is marked as default - which makes more
sense for me.
Only if the customer really wants to have a special product asap then he
can mark the option "allow split"

cheers

Si Chen schrieb:

> Hi everybody -
>
> I have a couple of questions about order entry in ordermgr:
>
> 1.  Why is user email a required field?  If you're taking orders over
> the phone, the customer might not have an email.  Is it OK if I made
> this optional?
>
> 2.  Also, why is "Ship all at once" the default option?  Is it OK if I
> made "allow split" the default option?
>
> Si

Re: couple of order entry questions

cjhowe
1. That sounds right
2. Shipping (and administrative) costs are cheaper
when an order is shipped all at once.  Many companies
don't even provide for split shipments. Split
shipments as an option is great, but IMO should not be
the default option for the community.

--- Si Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody -
>
> I have a couple of questions about order entry in
> ordermgr:
>
> 1.  Why is user email a required field?  If you're
> taking orders over
> the phone, the customer might not have an email.  Is
> it OK if I made
> this optional?
>
> 2.  Also, why is "Ship all at once" the default
> option?  Is it OK if
> I made "allow split" the default option?
>
> Si

Re: couple of order entry questions

David E Jones-2

I agree with Janko and Chris on both of these points. #1 sounds good,
but for #2 the all at once should be the OOTB default.

For #1 we may want to have an option on the ProductStore to require
an email address. This is part of something more general though as we
should probably have such an option for a telephone number as well,
and with such options it would be nice if they were checked during
the checkout process. Of course, this is really just diarrhea of the
mind stemming from the topic and based on past commentary.

-David

On Aug 3, 2006, at 3:39 PM, Si Chen wrote:

> Hi everybody -
>
> I have a couple of questions about order entry in ordermgr:
>
> 1.  Why is user email a required field?  If you're taking orders
> over the phone, the customer might not have an email.  Is it OK if
> I made this optional?
>
> 2.  Also, why is "Ship all at once" the default option?  Is it OK
> if I made "allow split" the default option?
>
> Si

Re: couple of order entry questions

cjhowe
I know that it is arbitrary from a functionality point
of view, but would it be more appropriate to make
these flags that keep extending ProductStore entity as
entries in a ProductStoreAttribute entity (which
doesn't currently exist).
My thought on this is that many of these flags are
more application layer settings as opposed to data
layer descriptions of a ProductStore.

Most of the flags are tested (if/else statements) on
their own as opposed as needing the rest of the
product store data.

I would also think that most people don't like their
data model being updated (to keep up with svn) for
functionality that they're probably using a custom
application for anyway.

Is this a better practice than adding fields?

--- David E Jones <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I agree with Janko and Chris on both of these
> points. #1 sounds good,
> but for #2 the all at once should be the OOTB
> default.
>
> For #1 we may want to have an option on the
> ProductStore to require
> an email address. This is part of something more
> general though as we
> should probably have such an option for a telephone
> number as well,
> and with such options it would be nice if they were
> checked during
> the checkout process. Of course, this is really just
> diarrhea of the
> mind stemming from the topic and based on past
> commentary.
>
> -David
>

> On Aug 3, 2006, at 3:39 PM, Si Chen wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody -
> >
> > I have a couple of questions about order entry in
> ordermgr:
> >
> > 1.  Why is user email a required field?  If you're
> taking orders
> > over the phone, the customer might not have an
> email.  Is it OK if
> > I made this optional?
> >
> > 2.  Also, why is "Ship all at once" the default
> option?  Is it OK
> > if I made "allow split" the default option?
> >
> > Si

Re: couple of order entry questions

Si,

Like Janko, Chris and David :