display party name instead of ID; party mgr

display party name instead of ID; party mgr

Jim Yanda
Hello,
Can someone suggest the best way to handle the following issue?

We have several thousands companies (party groups) and more than ten thousand contacts (persons). Each contact is related as an employee to the company in which they work.

When we are looking at a company's profile and click on 'relationships', we see all of the contact IDs listed, not their names, so we can't tell who we are looking at. We  would like to be able to see their names, and have the names be clickable so we can jump to that contact.

Since we have a lot of companies and contacts being added all the time, we don't want to manually enter an ID for each new party in Web Tools. We would like to just let OFBiz assign an ID number automatically.

For that matter, many of the screens in the various OFBiz apps show the party ID instead of the name and it is not as easy to know what party you are working with when all you see is an ID number.

Your advice on solutions to this is appreciated.

Thank you.

Jim

Re: display party name instead of ID; party mgr

Please use rather user ML for such questions :

From: "Jim Yanda" <[hidden email]>

> Hello,
> Can someone suggest the best way to handle the following issue?
>
> We have several thousands companies (party groups) and more than ten
> thousand contacts (persons). Each contact is related as an employee to the
> company in which they work.
>
> When we are looking at a company's profile and click on 'relationships', we
> see all of the contact IDs listed, not their names, so we can't tell who we
> are looking at. We  would like to be able to see their names, and have the
> names be clickable so we can jump to that contact.
>
> Since we have a lot of companies and contacts being added all the time, we
> don't want to manually enter an ID for each new party in Web Tools. We would
> like to just let OFBiz assign an ID number automatically.
>
> For that matter, many of the screens in the various OFBiz apps show the
> party ID instead of the name and it is not as easy to know what party you
> are working with when all you see is an ID number.
>
> Your advice on solutions to this is appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Jim

Re: display party name instead of ID; party mgr

Daniel Martínez-4
Jacques, isn't this already the user ML?
--
Daniel

Jacques Le Roux escribió:

> Please use rather user ML for such questions :

> From: "Jim Yanda" <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hello,
>> Can someone suggest the best way to handle the following issue?
>>
>> We have several thousands companies (party groups) and more than ten
>> thousand contacts (persons). Each contact is related as an employee
>> to the
>> company in which they work.
>> When we are looking at a company's profile and click on
>> 'relationships', we
>> see all of the contact IDs listed, not their names, so we can't tell
>> who we
>> are looking at. We  would like to be able to see their names, and
>> have the
>> names be clickable so we can jump to that contact.
>>
>> Since we have a lot of companies and contacts being added all the
>> time, we
>> don't want to manually enter an ID for each new party in Web Tools.
>> We would
>> like to just let OFBiz assign an ID number automatically.
>>
>> For that matter, many of the screens in the various OFBiz apps show the
>> party ID instead of the name and it is not as easy to know what party
>> you
>> are working with when all you see is an ID number.
>>
>> Your advice on solutions to this is appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Jim

Re: display party name instead of ID; party mgr

to late for the simple solution. Make the ID the name.
you can go into the UI and add the party Name

Jim Yanda sent the following on 4/23/2008 9:47 AM:

> Hello,
> Can someone suggest the best way to handle the following issue?
>
> We have several thousands companies (party groups) and more than ten
> thousand contacts (persons). Each contact is related as an employee to the
> company in which they work.
>
> When we are looking at a company's profile and click on 'relationships', we
> see all of the contact IDs listed, not their names, so we can't tell who we
> are looking at. We  would like to be able to see their names, and have the
> names be clickable so we can jump to that contact.
>
> Since we have a lot of companies and contacts being added all the time, we
> don't want to manually enter an ID for each new party in Web Tools. We would
> like to just let OFBiz assign an ID number automatically.
>
> For that matter, many of the screens in the various OFBiz apps show the
> party ID instead of the name and it is not as easy to know what party you
> are working with when all you see is an ID number.
>
> Your advice on solutions to this is appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Jim

Re: display party name instead of ID; party mgr

And then I answer to myself ;(

Have mercy

Jacques

> Ooops, sorry forget this message. I was in a hurry and I thought I was on dev ML
>
> My apologies
>
> Jacques
> From: "Jacques Le Roux" <[hidden email]>
>> Please use rather user ML for such questions :
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>> From: "Jim Yanda" <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>> Can someone suggest the best way to handle the following issue?
>>>
>>> We have several thousands companies (party groups) and more than ten
>>> thousand contacts (persons). Each contact is related as an employee to the
>>> company in which they work.
>>>
>>> When we are looking at a company's profile and click on 'relationships', we
>>> see all of the contact IDs listed, not their names, so we can't tell who we
>>> are looking at. We  would like to be able to see their names, and have the
>>> names be clickable so we can jump to that contact.
>>>
>>> Since we have a lot of companies and contacts being added all the time, we
>>> don't want to manually enter an ID for each new party in Web Tools. We would
>>> like to just let OFBiz assign an ID number automatically.
>>>
>>> For that matter, many of the screens in the various OFBiz apps show the
>>> party ID instead of the name and it is not as easy to know what party you
>>> are working with when all you see is an ID number.
>>>
>>> Your advice on solutions to this is appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Jim

Re: display party name instead of ID; party mgr

Jim Yanda
Hi BJ,
What is the simple solution?
And is Entity Data Maintenance the only place where I add a party id? Or is there another UI screen I can do this. When I create a new party in Party Mgr., OFBiz assigns an ID number, not the name.
Thnx.

BJ Freeman wrote
to late for the simple solution. Make the ID the name.
you can go into the UI and add the party Name

Jim Yanda sent the following on 4/23/2008 9:47 AM:
> Hello,
> Can someone suggest the best way to handle the following issue?
>
> We have several thousands companies (party groups) and more than ten
> thousand contacts (persons). Each contact is related as an employee to the
> company in which they work.
>
> When we are looking at a company's profile and click on 'relationships', we
> see all of the contact IDs listed, not their names, so we can't tell who we
> are looking at. We  would like to be able to see their names, and have the
> names be clickable so we can jump to that contact.
>
> Since we have a lot of companies and contacts being added all the time, we
> don't want to manually enter an ID for each new party in Web Tools. We would
> like to just let OFBiz assign an ID number automatically.
>
> For that matter, many of the screens in the various OFBiz apps show the
> party ID instead of the name and it is not as easy to know what party you
> are working with when all you see is an ID number.

Re: display party name instead of ID; party mgr

BJ Freeman
if you notice in the demo data for parties you have an ID
DemoCustomer.
so by just taking the base amount of data and putting the name in as the
ID you can import the base party information thru the webtools.
the use the party manager to add the rest of the information.
so you can have a id Jane_doe since ID's are characters not numeric in
handling and storage.

you can also modify you add person to expose the partyID so you can type
you own. the Add service will take a PartyID if it is supplied.

Jim Yanda sent the following on 4/25/2008 11:31 AM:

> Hi BJ,
> What is the simple solution?
> And is Entity Data Maintenance the only place where I add a party id? Or is
> there another UI screen I can do this. When I create a new party in Party
> Mgr., OFBiz assigns an ID number, not the name.
> Thnx.
>

> BJ Freeman wrote:
>> to late for the simple solution. Make the ID the name.
>> you can go into the UI and add the party Name
>>
>> Jim Yanda sent the following on 4/23/2008 9:47 AM:
>>> Hello,
>>> Can someone suggest the best way to handle the following issue?
>>>
>>> We have several thousands companies (party groups) and more than ten
>>> thousand contacts (persons). Each contact is related as an employee to
>>> the
>>> company in which they work.
>>>
>>> When we are looking at a company's profile and click on 'relationships',
>>> we
>>> see all of the contact IDs listed, not their names, so we can't tell who
>>> we
>>> are looking at. We  would like to be able to see their names, and have
>>> the
>>> names be clickable so we can jump to that contact.
>>>
>>> Since we have a lot of companies and contacts being added all the time,
>>> we
>>> don't want to manually enter an ID for each new party in Web Tools. We
>>> would
>>> like to just let OFBiz assign an ID number automatically.
>>>
>>> For that matter, many of the screens in the various OFBiz apps show the
>>> party ID instead of the name and it is not as easy to know what party you
>>> are working with when all you see is an ID number.

Re: display party name instead of ID; party mgr

the other way is to go to pages you want the name displayed and change
the bsh to look up the name and put in the context then add the fields
on the UI.