organization partyId preference where to store?

organization partyId preference where to store?

hans_bakker
I am still getting the rate update into the system. David asked to have
the organization company(party) added to the basic rate table.

This has rather big implications:
1. if i want to select any applicable rate in the system, i need to know
the organization partyId.
2. if i generate an invoice for a project I have to know by which
organization the project is executed, this can be stored in the 'roles'
part and would be nice if could be added automatically.
3. if a project is done by more than one organization we even need it on
the task level.

Shouldn't we have a organization partyId set in the preferences of the
logged-in user? or should we add the preferred organizationPartyId to
the userLogin?

I was only wondering why there is no check for userPrefTypeId in the
UserPreference entity? shouldn't that have a check against the enum
entity for example?

I saw there was discussion in the past but as far as i could see no
consensus....

so what is the opinion of the community?

Regards,
Hans

Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive prices

Re: organization partyId preference where to store?

Adrian Crum-2
Hans,

The organization partyId should be set in the user's preferences.

I don't know what you mean by "there is no check for userPrefTypeId in the UserPreference entity." If you're asking why the link to the Enumeration entity isn't enforced, then the reason is flexibility. As the user preferences feature is built upon, there might be hundreds of preferences for one user. Requiring an enumeration for each preference type could become inconvenient. So, the preference type is optionally tied to an enumeration - in case you want to have a preference type description for display in a UI.

-Adrian

> I am still getting the rate update into the system. David
> asked to have
> the organization company(party) added to the basic rate
> table.
>
> This has rather big implications:
> 1. if i want to select any applicable rate in the system, i
> need to know
> the organization partyId.
> 2. if i generate an invoice for a project I have to know by
> which
> organization the project is executed, this can be stored in
> the 'roles'
> part and would be nice if could be added automatically.
> 3. if a project is done by more than one organization we
> even need it on
> the task level.
>
> Shouldn't we have a organization partyId set in the
> preferences of the
> logged-in user? or should we add the preferred
> organizationPartyId to
> the userLogin?
>
> I was only wondering why there is no check for
> userPrefTypeId in the
> UserPreference entity? shouldn't that have a check
> against the enum
> entity for example?
>
> I saw there was discussion in the past but as far as i
> could see no
> consensus....
>
> so what is the opinion of the community?
>
> Regards,
> Hans
>
> --
> Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive
> prices

Re: organization partyId preference where to store?

If the question is "Should we have the organization partyId set in"

user's preferences or userLogin

I think user's preferences is the best choice except if a party uses different logins for different Organisations...

Jacques

From: "Adrian Crum" <[hidden email]>

> Hans,
>
> The organization partyId should be set in the user's preferences.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "there is no check for userPrefTypeId in the UserPreference entity." If you're asking why the link
> to the Enumeration entity isn't enforced, then the reason is flexibility. As the user preferences feature is built upon, there
> might be hundreds of preferences for one user. Requiring an enumeration for each preference type could become inconvenient. So,
> the preference type is optionally tied to an enumeration - in case you want to have a preference type description for display in a
> UI.
>
> -Adrian

David E Jones-3

For the case of an service provider organization-specific billing rate
for a worker we would not want the worker to choose which organization
they are associated with, we would want that setup as part of the
project.

Does that make sense? In this case using a global or user-selected
setting would be a bad thing as most businesses wouldn't want their
billing setup to be driven by such a thing.

-David