Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

Guido Amarilla
When I was translating .properties files I found that many words have
not direct translation in my language (spanish) and that they may been
translated in different ways. I noticed that if I adopt a translation
other translator may not agree whit the word I choosed, or that I may
translate them inconsitently in different applications.

In order to avoid these problems I am making a glossary with those
controversial words, where I write the translation and a small
description of why I choosed it and why I didn´t choose other possible
translations.
For example:

Solicitation=Contactar. Por ejemplo en "Allow Solicitation" sería
"Permitir que lo contactemos" o "¿Podemos contactarlo?". No Solicitar,
y menos solicitación o solicitud.

I created a file called glossary.properties with all these words and
the spanish translation is in glossary_es.properties. If other
translators in other languages find it useful, I think we could put it
in SVN or in one of Ofbiz Web Sites.

--
Guido Amarilla

Córdoba
Argentina

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Guido,

I think that this is a nice idea; in my opinion the bast place to host
this information is in a new page in the OFBiz Wiki site:

http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com

You can create the page yourself and then others can add their
contributions.

Jacopo

Guido Amarilla wrote:

> When I was translating .properties files I found that many words have
> not direct translation in my language (spanish) and that they may been
> translated in different ways. I noticed that if I adopt a translation
> other translator may not agree whit the word I choosed, or that I may
> translate them inconsitently in different applications.
>
> In order to avoid these problems I am making a glossary with those
> controversial words, where I write the translation and a small
> description of why I choosed it and why I didn´t choose other possible
> translations.
> For example:
>
> Solicitation=Contactar. Por ejemplo en "Allow Solicitation" sería
> "Permitir que lo contactemos" o "¿Podemos contactarlo?". No Solicitar,
> y menos solicitación o solicitud.
>
> I created a file called glossary.properties with all these words and
> the spanish translation is in glossary_es.properties. If other
> translators in other languages find it useful, I think we could put it
> in SVN or in one of Ofbiz Web Sites.

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

Andrew Sykes
Guido,

My knowledge of languages other than English is limited, but if this is
a case of the english word being too generic, perhaps there's an
argument for creating two different labels.

In English both of these labels would have the same value, but could be
slightly different in spanish.

Just a suggestion, I really don't understand enough spanish to be sure
that this suggestion helps...

On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 02:32 -0300, Guido Amarilla wrote:

> When I was translating .properties files I found that many words have
> not direct translation in my language (spanish) and that they may been
> translated in different ways. I noticed that if I adopt a translation
> other translator may not agree whit the word I choosed, or that I may
> translate them inconsitently in different applications.
>
> In order to avoid these problems I am making a glossary with those
> controversial words, where I write the translation and a small
> description of why I choosed it and why I didn´t choose other possible
> translations.
> For example:
>
> Solicitation=Contactar. Por ejemplo en "Allow Solicitation" sería
> "Permitir que lo contactemos" o "¿Podemos contactarlo?". No Solicitar,
> y menos solicitación o solicitud.
>
> I created a file called glossary.properties with all these words and
> the spanish translation is in glossary_es.properties. If other
> translators in other languages find it useful, I think we could put it
> in SVN or in one of Ofbiz Web Sites.

--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

Guido,

That's a very good idea, a page in the wiki too.

Jacques

> I think that this is a nice idea; in my opinion the bast place to host
> this information is in a new page in the OFBiz Wiki site:
>
> http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com
>
> You can create the page yourself and then others can add their
> contributions.
>
> Jacopo
>
> Guido Amarilla wrote:
> > When I was translating .properties files I found that many words have
> > not direct translation in my language (spanish) and that they may been
> > translated in different ways. I noticed that if I adopt a translation
> > other translator may not agree whit the word I choosed, or that I may
> > translate them inconsitently in different applications.
> >
> > In order to avoid these problems I am making a glossary with those
> > controversial words, where I write the translation and a small
> > description of why I choosed it and why I didn´t choose other possible
> > translations.
> > For example:
> >
> > Solicitation=Contactar. Por ejemplo en "Allow Solicitation" sería
> > "Permitir que lo contactemos" o "¿Podemos contactarlo?". No Solicitar,
> > y menos solicitación o solicitud.
> >
> > I created a file called glossary.properties with all these words and
> > the spanish translation is in glossary_es.properties. If other
> > translators in other languages find it useful, I think we could put it
> > in SVN or in one of Ofbiz Web Sites.

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

Guido Amarilla
OK. Try this Wiki Page:

http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=TranslationStandards

Guido

2006/5/28, Jacopo Cappellato <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Guido,
>
> I think that this is a nice idea; in my opinion the bast place to host
> this information is in a new page in the OFBiz Wiki site:
>
> http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com
>
> You can create the page yourself and then others can add their
> contributions.
>
> Jacopo
>
> Guido Amarilla wrote:
> > When I was translating .properties files I found that many words have
> > not direct translation in my language (spanish) and that they may been
> > translated in different ways. I noticed that if I adopt a translation
> > other translator may not agree whit the word I choosed, or that I may
> > translate them inconsitently in different applications.
> >
> > In order to avoid these problems I am making a glossary with those
> > controversial words, where I write the translation and a small
> > description of why I choosed it and why I didn´t choose other possible
> > translations.
> > For example:
> >
> > Solicitation=Contactar. Por ejemplo en "Allow Solicitation" sería
> > "Permitir que lo contactemos" o "¿Podemos contactarlo?". No Solicitar,
> > y menos solicitación o solicitud.
> >
> > I created a file called glossary.properties with all these words and
> > the spanish translation is in glossary_es.properties. If other
> > translators in other languages find it useful, I think we could put it
> > in SVN or in one of Ofbiz Web Sites.

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

Manuel Desdin
guido:
we translated here in madrid to spanish the whole framework about 2
months ago, but it is still pending for corrections and revisions. i
propose, that we try to find all together, or a team of
representatives from different countries, what we agree to be the
spanish international version (_es) and let everyone build the
spanish localized version for his country as an overwrite extension
to this one. a discussion forum with a thread for every term or
language construction that are different from country to country is
probably better for this purpose than wiki.
to translate ofbiz to spanish correctly, and to other languages as
well, there is a need for relabeling some properties. this has to be
a community work for doing so for all languages. we should find out
the relabeling (and re-factoring) needed for spanish. we have to ask
the core developers about these changes, but i expect it not to be a
problem.
your glossary is already a very good starting point!
manuel desdin,
madrid.

On May 28, 2006, at 7:32 AM, Guido Amarilla wrote:

> When I was translating .properties files I found that many words have
> not direct translation in my language (spanish) and that they may been
> translated in different ways. I noticed that if I adopt a translation
> other translator may not agree whit the word I choosed, or that I may
> translate them inconsitently in different applications.
>
> In order to avoid these problems I am making a glossary with those
> controversial words, where I write the translation and a small
> description of why I choosed it and why I didn´t choose other possible
> translations.
> For example:
>
> Solicitation=Contactar. Por ejemplo en "Allow Solicitation" sería
> "Permitir que lo contactemos" o "¿Podemos contactarlo?". No Solicitar,
> y menos solicitación o solicitud.
>
> I created a file called glossary.properties with all these words and
> the spanish translation is in glossary_es.properties. If other
> translators in other languages find it useful, I think we could put it
> in SVN or in one of Ofbiz Web Sites.
>

> --
> Guido Amarilla
>
> Córdoba
> Argentina

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

Hi Manuel,

This is something that I was waiting for for some time : pleople interested in
translating *seriously* OFBiz. It seems that we are some interested now, let's
go...

> guido:
> we translated here in madrid to spanish the whole framework about 2
> months ago, but it is still pending for corrections and revisions. i
> propose, that we try to find all together, or a team of
> representatives from different countries, what we agree to be the
> spanish international version (_es) and let everyone build the
> spanish localized version for his country as an overwrite extension
> to this one. a discussion forum with a thread for every term or
> language construction that are different from country to country is
> probably better for this purpose than wiki.

Why not opening an ML for that ? I w'll provide the search tool (thanks to Firas
:o)

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

Guido Amarilla
Hi Manuel,
I agree with you. We know that spanish words are used very differently
in our countries. We should do that, agree about the international _es
version and then customize it for each country that is needed. When we
have a forum or ML we could start that revision.

I started this myself because I found no JIRA issues about a spanish
translation and no _es files.

Hi Jacques,
The idea of a mailing list is great (ther isn´t any OFBiz formum yet).
Can you make the arrangements for that? It could be a group of lists,
each one in a different language (starting with French, Italian and
Spanish as I see in this ML domains).

Guido

2006/5/28, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Manuel,
>
> This is something that I was waiting for for some time : pleople interested in
> translating *seriously* OFBiz. It seems that we are some interested now, let's
> go...
>
> > guido:
> > we translated here in madrid to spanish the whole framework about 2
> > months ago, but it is still pending for corrections and revisions. i
> > propose, that we try to find all together, or a team of
> > representatives from different countries, what we agree to be the
> > spanish international version (_es) and let everyone build the
> > spanish localized version for his country as an overwrite extension
> > to this one. a discussion forum with a thread for every term or
> > language construction that are different from country to country is
> > probably better for this purpose than wiki.
>
> Why not opening an ML for that ? I w'll provide the search tool (thanks to Firas
> :o)

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

David E. Jones

Guido Amarilla wrote:
> Hi Jacques,
> The idea of a mailing list is great (ther isn´t any OFBiz formum yet).
> Can you make the arrangements for that? It could be a group of lists,
> each one in a different language (starting with French, Italian and
> Spanish as I see in this ML domains).

To be honest I would be surprised to see enough traffic to justify a single separate mailing list, let alone a set of them.

I recommend just using this one for now, the OFBiz dev mailing list. If the traffic from this particular topic becomes too much, then we should consider a separate mailing list.

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

Guido Amarilla
David,
I understand what you say. But on the other hand I think that we need
some traffic in our native language for this topic and I don´t think
that we can write here in french, italian or spanish.
Coming back to the discussion "forum and KB vs ML" I think that we
need forums, blogs, wiki o KB in different languages, because they
generate Web content that can be indexed by search engines and this
way catch users in other languages. And a translation forum will have
a bunch of useful search engine indexable keywords.

Guido Amarilla

2006/5/28, David E. Jones <[hidden email]>:

> Guido Amarilla wrote:
> > Hi Jacques,
> > The idea of a mailing list is great (ther isn´t any OFBiz formum yet).
> > Can you make the arrangements for that? It could be a group of lists,
> > each one in a different language (starting with French, Italian and
> > Spanish as I see in this ML domains).
>
> To be honest I would be surprised to see enough traffic to justify a single separate mailing list, let alone a set of them.
>
> I recommend just using this one for now, the OFBiz dev mailing list. If the traffic from this particular topic becomes too much, then we should consider a separate mailing list.

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

> David,
> I understand what you say. But on the other hand I think that we need
> some traffic in our native language for this topic and I don´t think
> that we can write here in french, italian or spanish.
> Coming back to the discussion "forum and KB vs ML" I think that we
> need forums, blogs, wiki o KB in different languages, because they
> generate Web content that can be indexed by search engines and this
> way catch users in other languages. And a translation forum will have
> a bunch of useful search engine indexable keywords.
>
> Guido Amarilla

Perhaps a way is to make yourself (or anybody able to) this ML ? Si is doing a
lot thing this way that are very useful (alongside OFBiz)

Jacques

> 2006/5/28, David E. Jones <[hidden email]>:
> >

> > Guido Amarilla wrote:
> > > Hi Jacques,
> > > The idea of a mailing list is great (ther isn´t any OFBiz formum yet).
> > > Can you make the arrangements for that? It could be a group of lists,
> > > each one in a different language (starting with French, Italian and
> > > Spanish as I see in this ML domains).
> >
> > To be honest I would be surprised to see enough traffic to justify a single
separate mailing list, let alone a set of them.

> > I recommend just using this one for now, the OFBiz dev mailing list. If the
traffic from this particular topic becomes too much, then we should consider a
separate mailing list.

> > -David

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

> Guido Amarilla wrote:
> > Hi Jacques,
> > The idea of a mailing list is great (ther isn´t any OFBiz formum yet).
> > Can you make the arrangements for that? It could be a group of lists,
> > each one in a different language (starting with French, Italian and
> > Spanish as I see in this ML domains).
>
> To be honest I would be surprised to see enough traffic to justify a single
separate mailing list, let alone a set of them.

> I recommend just using this one for now, the OFBiz dev mailing list. If the
traffic from this particular topic becomes too much, then we should consider a
separate mailing list.

> -David

Words of wisdom, let see what happens before ...

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

Guido Amarilla
OK.
Following your suggestions I started a Wiki Page for a common spanish glossary.
http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=SpanishTranslationGuide
(HowToLocalizeAnOFBizAppl > TranslationStandards > SpanishTranslationGuide)
This way all these words in spanish may be indexed by search engines.

In this page it states that if anyone has a question about any of
these translations he should start a thread in this mailing list, and
if most of us ("spanish translation team") agree, we can change it.

Guido Amarilla

2006/5/28, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]>:

> > Guido Amarilla wrote:
> > > Hi Jacques,
> > > The idea of a mailing list is great (ther isn´t any OFBiz formum yet).
> > > Can you make the arrangements for that? It could be a group of lists,
> > > each one in a different language (starting with French, Italian and
> > > Spanish as I see in this ML domains).
> >
> > To be honest I would be surprised to see enough traffic to justify a single
> separate mailing list, let alone a set of them.
> >
> > I recommend just using this one for now, the OFBiz dev mailing list. If the
> traffic from this particular topic becomes too much, then we should consider a
> separate mailing list.
> >
> > -David
>
> Words of wisdom, let see what happens before ...

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

Manuel Desdin
guido,
i think we are confusing the tools here, i don't want to say that the
old good forum is the best way to go, but for sure wiki + ml is not!
i mean you have to ask the people there not to change what you have
written until it is discussed and agreed in a ml (you chose dev, but
user is probably the right one).
there is no forum at ofbiz.org, so my proposal: i'll host ofbiz.es
for now only with a forum, and we should see later how it might help
us develop an international spanish community!
manuel.

On May 29, 2006, at 3:59 AM, Guido Amarilla wrote:

> OK.
> Following your suggestions I started a Wiki Page for a common
> spanish glossary.
> http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=SpanishTranslationGuide
> (HowToLocalizeAnOFBizAppl > TranslationStandards >
> SpanishTranslationGuide)
> This way all these words in spanish may be indexed by search engines.
>
> In this page it states that if anyone has a question about any of
> these translations he should start a thread in this mailing list, and
> if most of us ("spanish translation team") agree, we can change it.
>
> Guido Amarilla

>>> To be honest I would be surprised to see enough traffic to
>>> justify a single
>> separate mailing list, let alone a set of them.
>>>
>>> I recommend just using this one for now, the OFBiz dev mailing
>>> list. If the
>> traffic from this particular topic becomes too much, then we
>> should consider a
>> separate mailing list.
>>>
>>> -David
>>
>> Words of wisdom, let see what happens before ...
>>
>> Jacques

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

Guido Amarilla
Manuel,
I agree with you. I would have done it but I don´t have resources to
host a Forum (I´m not selling OFBiz right now, I´m just trying to use
it, to offer it in Argentina it needs a lot of customization)

Guido Amarilla

2006/5/29, Manuel Desdin <[hidden email]>:

> guido,
> i think we are confusing the tools here, i don't want to say that the
> old good forum is the best way to go, but for sure wiki + ml is not!
> i mean you have to ask the people there not to change what you have
> written until it is discussed and agreed in a ml (you chose dev, but
> user is probably the right one).
> there is no forum at ofbiz.org, so my proposal: i'll host ofbiz.es
> for now only with a forum, and we should see later how it might help
> us develop an international spanish community!
> manuel.
>
> On May 29, 2006, at 3:59 AM, Guido Amarilla wrote:
>
> > OK.
> > Following your suggestions I started a Wiki Page for a common
> > spanish glossary.
> > http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=SpanishTranslationGuide
> > (HowToLocalizeAnOFBizAppl > TranslationStandards >
> > SpanishTranslationGuide)
> > This way all these words in spanish may be indexed by search engines.
> >
> > In this page it states that if anyone has a question about any of
> > these translations he should start a thread in this mailing list, and
> > if most of us ("spanish translation team") agree, we can change it.
> >
> > Guido Amarilla

> >> separate mailing list, let alone a set of them.

> >> traffic from this particular topic becomes too much, then we
> >> should consider a
> >> separate mailing list.

> >> Words of wisdom, let see what happens before ...
> >>
> >> Jacques

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

Manuel Desdin
guido,
ofbiz.es is up and running!
let's go for it.
tell me when you have registered so i can give admin rights for the
forum!
manuel.

On May 29, 2006, at 7:23 PM, Guido Amarilla wrote:

> Manuel,
> I agree with you. I would have done it but I don´t have resources to
> host a Forum (I´m not selling OFBiz right now, I´m just trying to use
> it, to offer it in Argentina it needs a lot of customization)
>
> Guido Amarilla
>
> 2006/5/29, Manuel Desdin <[hidden email]>:
>> guido,
>> i think we are confusing the tools here, i don't want to say that the
>> old good forum is the best way to go, but for sure wiki + ml is not!
>> i mean you have to ask the people there not to change what you have
>> written until it is discussed and agreed in a ml (you chose dev, but
>> user is probably the right one).
>> there is no forum at ofbiz.org, so my proposal: i'll host ofbiz.es
>> for now only with a forum, and we should see later how it might help
>> us develop an international spanish community!
>> manuel.
>>
>> On May 29, 2006, at 3:59 AM, Guido Amarilla wrote:
>>
>>> OK.
>>> Following your suggestions I started a Wiki Page for a common
>>> spanish glossary.
>>> http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?
>>> page=SpanishTranslationGuide
>>> (HowToLocalizeAnOFBizAppl > TranslationStandards >
>>> SpanishTranslationGuide)
>>> This way all these words in spanish may be indexed by search
>>> engines.
>>>
>>> In this page it states that if anyone has a question about any of
>>> these translations he should start a thread in this mailing list,
>>> and
>>> if most of us ("spanish translation team") agree, we can change it.
>>>
>>> Guido Amarilla

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

Guido Amarilla
I already registered...

Manuel Desdin wrote:
> guido,
> i think we are confusing the tools here, i don't want to say that the
> old good forum is the best way to go, but for sure wiki + ml is not!

Why not?

> i mean you have to ask the people there not to change what you have
> written until it is discussed and agreed in a ml (you chose dev, but
> user is probably the right one).

No. The users list is for use of OFBiz. The dev list is for development of OFBiz. Anything that is intended to eventually go in the OFBiz SVN is development of OFBiz...

On May 29, 2006, at 8:33 PM, David E. Jones wrote:

> Manuel Desdin wrote:
>> guido,
>> i think we are confusing the tools here, i don't want to say that the
>> old good forum is the best way to go, but for sure wiki + ml is not!
>
> Why not?
a wiki itself would do it, but because of the way wiki handles
permissions i don't see it doing right for discussions and it is what
we have here. and when it comes to external participation i would say
a forum makes it easier than ml and probably for every other type of
interaction on the web. we would like to get people here involved
that probably have no relations to ofbiz.

>> i mean you have to ask the people there not to change what you have
>> written until it is discussed and agreed in a ml (you chose dev, but
>> user is probably the right one).
>
> No. The users list is for use of OFBiz. The dev list is for
> development of OFBiz. Anything that is intended to eventually go in
> the OFBiz SVN is development of OFBiz...
i would say yes and no, it was the suggestion for the beginning. our
first steps have to deal with end users and only the result goes into
the development arena. and we will for sure share the results and any
suggestions we get from the end users via dev ml.

manuel.

Re: Dev - Glossary for consistent translation

Guido Amarilla
I think that OFBiz should have a place to start its
internationalization in each language and its localization to each
country practices (like taxes, chart of accounts, etc) that is more
than just a translation.

Have a look at pages 140 & 141 (Translation Manager)
Producing Open Source Software (How to Run a Successful Free Software)
 http://producingoss.com/producingoss.pdf

It says that is a good practice to have a ML in the translation's team language.

It is very good to have a web site with a home page in the potential
user/developer language, where he can see the features, screenshots,
etc and catch his attention. It is good to have support in your
language. That is the way we are going with Manuel´s brand new
ofbiz.es I hope.