Users - can't send email

Hao Jiang-4
Hi, I update the system to the latest svn and all of a sudden i can't
send email any more. I get this error message

Exception: javax.mail.NoSuchProviderException
[java] Message: Unable to locate provider for protocol: smtp

I hasn't touched anything about it, and on my production copy which
couple months old it works fine.

I noted that there are some changes under base/lib, do i miss something?

Thanks

Hao

Re: Users - can't send email

BJ Freeman
There ahs been discussion about a lot of reconfiguration of ofbiz.
lot of libraries have been move.
I believe david said you had to create you own path to these.

Hao Jiang sent the following on 6/1/06 1:19 PM:

> Hi, I update the system to the latest svn and all of a sudden i can't
> send email any more. I get this error message
>
> Exception: javax.mail.NoSuchProviderException
> [java] Message: Unable to locate provider for protocol: smtp
>
> I hasn't touched anything about it, and on my production copy which
> couple months old it works fine.
>
> I noted that there are some changes under base/lib, do i miss something?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hao

Re: Users - can't send email

David E. Jones

This is pretty much correct. There are no default email protocol handlers in SVN right now, just the JavaMail stubs from Geronimo. This is a work in progress, so if anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to entertain them... My plan is, when I get another little chunk of free time (that isn't used for email...), to see if I can find other stuff in Geronimo to fill this gap. I imagine there is something in there somewhere...

-David

BJ Freeman wrote:

> There ahs been discussion about a lot of reconfiguration of ofbiz.
> lot of libraries have been move.
> I believe david said you had to create you own path to these.
>

> Hao Jiang sent the following on 6/1/06 1:19 PM:
>> Hi, I update the system to the latest svn and all of a sudden i can't
>> send email any more. I get this error message
>>
>> Exception: javax.mail.NoSuchProviderException
>> [java] Message: Unable to locate provider for protocol: smtp
>>
>> I hasn't touched anything about it, and on my production copy which
>> couple months old it works fine.
>>
>> I noted that there are some changes under base/lib, do i miss something?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Hao

Re: Users - can't send email

Hao Jiang-4
I solved this problem by adding couple of jar files under base/lib. I
don't understand that the javamail is a very basic API, why you want to
change it, not working with Gernoimo?

Hao

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 01:35 -0600, David E Jones wrote:

> This is pretty much correct. There are no default email protocol handlers in SVN right now, just the JavaMail stubs from Geronimo. This is a work in progress, so if anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to entertain them... My plan is, when I get another little chunk of free time (that isn't used for email...), to see if I can find other stuff in Geronimo to fill this gap. I imagine there is something in there somewhere...
>
> -David
>

> BJ Freeman wrote:
> > There ahs been discussion about a lot of reconfiguration of ofbiz.
> > lot of libraries have been move.
> > I believe david said you had to create you own path to these.
> >

> > Hao Jiang sent the following on 6/1/06 1:19 PM:
> >> Hi, I update the system to the latest svn and all of a sudden i can't
> >> send email any more. I get this error message
> >>
> >> Exception: javax.mail.NoSuchProviderException
> >> [java] Message: Unable to locate provider for protocol: smtp
> >>
> >> I hasn't touched anything about it, and on my production copy which
> >> couple months old it works fine.
> >>
> >> I noted that there are some changes under base/lib, do i miss something?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Hao

Re: Users - can't send email

Christian Geisert
David E Jones schrieb:
> This is pretty much correct. There are no default email protocol handlers in SVN right now, just the JavaMail stubs from Geronimo. This is a work in progress, so if anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to entertain them... My plan is, when I get another little chunk of free time (that isn't used for email...), to see if I can find other stuff in Geronimo to fill this gap. I imagine there is something in there somewhere...

What about using JavaMail from GlassFish[1]. This looks like the
original JavaMail licensed under CDDL which is ok for binary inclusion.

Christian

[1] https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/mail/

Re: Users - can't send email

BJ Freeman
I would suggest James, since it is already in the Apache group.
I use james and love its mailet feature for filtering.
It also has fetch so I can pull from other mail servers.
Please consider.

Christian Geisert sent the following on 6/3/06 3:40 AM:

> David E Jones schrieb:
>
>>This is pretty much correct. There are no default email protocol handlers in SVN right now, just the JavaMail stubs from Geronimo. This is a work in progress, so if anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to entertain them... My plan is, when I get another little chunk of free time (that isn't used for email...), to see if I can find other stuff in Geronimo to fill this gap. I imagine there is something in there somewhere...
>

> What about using JavaMail from GlassFish[1]. This looks like the
> original JavaMail licensed under CDDL which is ok for binary inclusion.
>
> Christian
>
> [1] https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/mail/

Re: Users - can't send email

Andrew Sykes
BJ,

I agree, JAMES is a great project, sadly lacking in forward momentum
though.

But the mailet and matchers could have _lots_ of uses if coupled with
OFBiz.

There is also a JMX api to manage JAMES, OFBiz could no doubt leverage
this...

No IMAP support yet though, and no plans to address this. They are
refactoring in a VERY general way though to allow IMAP to be fitted in,
but that's about it.

- Andrew

On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 04:54 -0700, BJ Freeman wrote:

> I would suggest James, since it is already in the Apache group.
> I use james and love its mailet feature for filtering.
> It also has fetch so I can pull from other mail servers.
> Please consider.
>
> Christian Geisert sent the following on 6/3/06 3:40 AM:
> > David E Jones schrieb:
> >
> >>This is pretty much correct. There are no default email protocol handlers in SVN right now, just the JavaMail stubs from Geronimo. This is a work in progress, so if anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to entertain them... My plan is, when I get another little chunk of free time (that isn't used for email...), to see if I can find other stuff in Geronimo to fill this gap. I imagine there is something in there somewhere...
> >

> > What about using JavaMail from GlassFish[1]. This looks like the
> > original JavaMail licensed under CDDL which is ok for binary inclusion.
> >
> > Christian
> >
> > [1] https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/mail/

Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Users - can't send email

BJ Freeman
I was hoping that if ofbiz adopted it that someone from here would do it.
it is on my todo list of todo lists.
Thanks about the JMX.
BTW I use the YOP to access Yahoo mail then let james fetch thru YOP.
Hopefully I will get YOP functionality into James one of these winters.

Andrew Sykes sent the following on 6/3/06 8:11 AM:

> BJ,
>
> I agree, JAMES is a great project, sadly lacking in forward momentum
> though.
>
> But the mailet and matchers could have _lots_ of uses if coupled with
> OFBiz.
>
> There is also a JMX api to manage JAMES, OFBiz could no doubt leverage
> this...
>
> No IMAP support yet though, and no plans to address this. They are
> refactoring in a VERY general way though to allow IMAP to be fitted in,
> but that's about it.
>
> - Andrew
>
> On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 04:54 -0700, BJ Freeman wrote:
>
>>I would suggest James, since it is already in the Apache group.
>>I use james and love its mailet feature for filtering.
>>It also has fetch so I can pull from other mail servers.
>>Please consider.
>>
>>Christian Geisert sent the following on 6/3/06 3:40 AM:

>>>What about using JavaMail from GlassFish[1]. This looks like the
>>>original JavaMail licensed under CDDL which is ok for binary inclusion.
>>>
>>>Christian
>>>
>>>[1] https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/mail/

Re: Users - can't send email

Andrew Sykes
BJ,

I looked at doing some of this stuff a while back, but I didn't really
like the whole phoenix related thing etc, plus it is a real hassle just
to get a dev version running (trawling the internet for jars etc).

It seemed to have a steeper learning curve than OFBiz, which given the
scale was a bit absurd.

I had kind of hoped to have a look at whether it would be possible to
rip out the relevant stuff and actually make an OFBiz specific version.

For example expose the delegator to the matcher/mailets. Store the
virtual host stuff in the EE, use the OFBiz security stuff to
authenticate users etc..

It seems like you could pretty quickly put something together to rival
OX if the bits above were in place...

So, my question is, have you looked at it in enough detail to visualise
how this might work, or alternatively to tell me to abandon my crazy
whim :-}
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Users - can't send email

A quick note on James: we decided not to use it because of certain technical complexities and because using JavaMail it is fairly easy to monitor an email account, and that is what the current MCA (Mail-Condition-Action) stuff does that is already implemented in the service engine.

This makes it unnecessary to have an email server embedded in OFBiz, which simplifies things a lot and allows you to use the excellent email servers that are being actively maintained and that have on the order of hundreds of thousands of live instances.

-David

BJ Freeman wrote:

> I would suggest James, since it is already in the Apache group.
> I use james and love its mailet feature for filtering.
> It also has fetch so I can pull from other mail servers.
> Please consider.
>
> Christian Geisert sent the following on 6/3/06 3:40 AM:
>> David E Jones schrieb:
>>
>>> This is pretty much correct. There are no default email protocol handlers in SVN right now, just the JavaMail stubs from Geronimo. This is a work in progress, so if anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to entertain them... My plan is, when I get another little chunk of free time (that isn't used for email...), to see if I can find other stuff in Geronimo to fill this gap. I imagine there is something in there somewhere...
>>
>> What about using JavaMail from GlassFish[1]. This looks like the
>> original JavaMail licensed under CDDL which is ok for binary inclusion.
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> [1] https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/mail/

Re: Users - can't send email

BJ Freeman
I agree javamail does work, as implemented.
what I have not been able to figure out, is how to download many email
accounts and or many folders from an email account so they are assigned
to the respective email account in ofbiz.
Since I can do most of this in james, is the reason I am using it now.
as to the commercial servers out there, I have not found any that have
the flexibility in james, (though I have not looked real hard).
the one thing lacking in all of them is blocking an IP that is spaming.
Most block by domain name.
I used to use fluffy as a preprocessor because it did a good job.
Since I have gotten james to do the same thing.

The only reason I have not attempted to integrate into ofbiz is the
design changes to quick to get any serious work done.

David E. Jones sent the following on 6/3/06 1:03 PM:

BJ Freeman wrote:
> I agree javamail does work, as implemented.
> what I have not been able to figure out, is how to download many email
> accounts and or many folders from an email account so they are assigned
> to the respective email account in ofbiz.

What is an "email account in ofbiz"? I can't think of anything that exists that would fit this description.

> Since I can do most of this in james, is the reason I am using it now.
> as to the commercial servers out there, I have not found any that have
> the flexibility in james, (though I have not looked real hard).
> the one thing lacking in all of them is blocking an IP that is spaming.
> Most block by domain name.
> I used to use fluffy as a preprocessor because it did a good job.
> Since I have gotten james to do the same thing.
>
> The only reason I have not attempted to integrate into ofbiz is the
> design changes to quick to get any serious work done.

Interesting. Could you elaborate on what is changing too quickly to get any work done? For a similar feature, the Service Engine MCA stuff: it was written and added almost 2 years ago, and I don't think it has needed any real updates since.

Re: Users - can't send email

BJ Freeman
the equivalent email account is assigning a commincation to a User of ofbiz.
Manual steps would be email comes into the communications.
it is then assigned to a user.

David, we each have our speed at which we program and time allotted.
For me, I am probably the turtle of the group, as far as coding.
so in my realm, I just get a framework layout of what I am going to do
and it changes.
Yes you can point to things that have not changed, however you just
changed the java mail, which I have been working with. If i want to add
the fixs by just bringing over a whole set of code, I will break what I
have.

David E. Jones sent the following on 6/3/06 9:24 PM:

> BJ Freeman wrote:
>
>>I agree javamail does work, as implemented.
>>what I have not been able to figure out, is how to download many email
>>accounts and or many folders from an email account so they are assigned
>>to the respective email account in ofbiz.
>

> What is an "email account in ofbiz"? I can't think of anything that exists that would fit this description.
>

>>Since I can do most of this in james, is the reason I am using it now.
>>as to the commercial servers out there, I have not found any that have
>>the flexibility in james, (though I have not looked real hard).
>>the one thing lacking in all of them is blocking an IP that is spaming.
>>Most block by domain name.
>>I used to use fluffy as a preprocessor because it did a good job.
>>Since I have gotten james to do the same thing.
>>
>>The only reason I have not attempted to integrate into ofbiz is the
>>design changes to quick to get any serious work done.
>

> Interesting. Could you elaborate on what is changing too quickly to get any work done? For a similar feature, the Service Engine MCA stuff: it was written and added almost 2 years ago, and I don't think it has needed any real updates since.

Re: Users - can't send email

Okay, I threw in (rev 7740) the mail.jar from Glassfish which should hopefully do the trick... The "installation" jar required Java 5, but hopefully the mail.jar itself won't require it. Out of SVN things startup fine, but they are empty settings and such.

If anyone runs into an issue with, let us know...

-David

BJ Freeman wrote:
> the equivalent email account is assigning a commincation to a User of ofbiz.
> Manual steps would be email comes into the communications.
> it is then assigned to a user.

So, you mean a "Party" is basically an email account and CommunicationEvents associated with the Party would be the messages?

There has been some discussion about this model and all that is really needed is a service that is mounted using an MCA that would figure out the Party from the email and then create a CommunicationEvent associated with the Party. I'm not sure if this exists yet.

Has anybody reading in worked on this?

> David, we each have our speed at which we program and time allotted.
> For me, I am probably the turtle of the group, as far as coding.
> so in my realm, I just get a framework layout of what I am going to do
> and it changes.
> Yes you can point to things that have not changed, however you just
> changed the java mail, which I have been working with. If i want to add
> the fixs by just bringing over a whole set of code, I will break what I
> have.

Feedback on this is certainly appreciated as we can perhaps avoid such things in the future.

So is it the temporary exclusion of the JavaMail protocol handlers jar that caused your concern? Are there any other things you'd like to ask about?

With the mail.jar file (which is now in place again in SVN rev 7740) even though it wasn't in OFBiz OOTB because of licensing issues, you could still add it in for your own use. In any case, this is more of a deployment issue that a development issue as no code changes should be required because of this.

Re: Users - can't send email

BJ Freeman
what you describe is close to what I have done.
I added a service when java mail received.
it looks for the Primary email that matches the to or CC.
have not yet got it to look at more than one yet.
not user you can use what I have done but would be glad to sent the code
to a Jira.

to be clear, there are two main functions, as I see it.
correction bugs, and refactoring.
all I am saying that when they are mixed in the same update, it is hard
to just do the fixes.
I have to look at each change and decide it it will break what I have in
production. this take time.
I don't have the advantage of know where this is going.
I am more like the person that comes behind the horse and does the clean up.

David E. Jones sent the following on 6/3/06 10:56 PM:

> BJ Freeman wrote:
>
>>the equivalent email account is assigning a commincation to a User of ofbiz.
>>Manual steps would be email comes into the communications.
>>it is then assigned to a user.
>

> So, you mean a "Party" is basically an email account and CommunicationEvents associated with the Party would be the messages?
>
> There has been some discussion about this model and all that is really needed is a service that is mounted using an MCA that would figure out the Party from the email and then create a CommunicationEvent associated with the Party. I'm not sure if this exists yet.
>
> Has anybody reading in worked on this?
>

>>David, we each have our speed at which we program and time allotted.
>>For me, I am probably the turtle of the group, as far as coding.
>>so in my realm, I just get a framework layout of what I am going to do
>>and it changes.
>>Yes you can point to things that have not changed, however you just
>>changed the java mail, which I have been working with. If i want to add
>>the fixs by just bringing over a whole set of code, I will break what I
>>have.
>

> Feedback on this is certainly appreciated as we can perhaps avoid such things in the future.
>
> So is it the temporary exclusion of the JavaMail protocol handlers jar that caused your concern? Are there any other things you'd like to ask about?
>
> With the mail.jar file (which is now in place again in SVN rev 7740) even though it wasn't in OFBiz OOTB because of licensing issues, you could still add it in for your own use. In any case, this is more of a deployment issue that a development issue as no code changes should be required because of this.

Re: Users - can't send email

Andrew Sykes
David,

"certain technical complexities" - whatever could you mean! :-)

One advantage I can see to an embedded mail server is that you could
have a lot more control of doing things like keeping POP accounts in
sync. But then of course if you're using IMAP this might not be such a
problem.

I'm guessing the MCAs do something along the same lines as the
Mailet/Matcher stuff? Is that correct?
--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: Users - can't send email

apparently missed this
http://jira.ofbiz.org/browse/OFBIZ-628
Route incoming emails to correct party as store as comm events

BJ Freeman sent the following on 6/3/06 11:11 PM:

> what you describe is close to what I have done.
> I added a service when java mail received.
> it looks for the Primary email that matches the to or CC.
> have not yet got it to look at more than one yet.
> not user you can use what I have done but would be glad to sent the code
> to a Jira.
>
> to be clear, there are two main functions, as I see it.
> correction bugs, and refactoring.
> all I am saying that when they are mixed in the same update, it is hard
> to just do the fixes.
> I have to look at each change and decide it it will break what I have in
> production. this take time.
> I don't have the advantage of know where this is going.
> I am more like the person that comes behind the horse and does the clean up.
>

> David E. Jones sent the following on 6/3/06 10:56 PM:
>
>>BJ Freeman wrote:
>>

>>>the equivalent email account is assigning a commincation to a User of ofbiz.
>>>Manual steps would be email comes into the communications.
>>>it is then assigned to a user.
>>

>>So, you mean a "Party" is basically an email account and CommunicationEvents associated with the Party would be the messages?
>>
>>There has been some discussion about this model and all that is really needed is a service that is mounted using an MCA that would figure out the Party from the email and then create a CommunicationEvent associated with the Party. I'm not sure if this exists yet.
>>
>>Has anybody reading in worked on this?
>>

>>>David, we each have our speed at which we program and time allotted.
>>>For me, I am probably the turtle of the group, as far as coding.
>>>so in my realm, I just get a framework layout of what I am going to do
>>>and it changes.
>>>Yes you can point to things that have not changed, however you just
>>>changed the java mail, which I have been working with. If i want to add
>>>the fixs by just bringing over a whole set of code, I will break what I
>>>have.
>>

>>Feedback on this is certainly appreciated as we can perhaps avoid such things in the future.
>>
>>So is it the temporary exclusion of the JavaMail protocol handlers jar that caused your concern? Are there any other things you'd like to ask about?
>>
>>With the mail.jar file (which is now in place again in SVN rev 7740) even though it wasn't in OFBiz OOTB because of licensing issues, you could still add it in for your own use. In any case, this is more of a deployment issue that a development issue as no code changes should be required because of this.
>>
>>-David

Re: Users - can't send email

I don't know what a Mailet/Matcher is, but you can download the
documentation we have:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=145855&package_id=189005

and there are some notes about MCAs in the "Configuration and Setup" folder.

Si

Andrew Sykes wrote:

> David,
>
> "certain technical complexities" - whatever could you mean! :-)
>
> One advantage I can see to an embedded mail server is that you could
> have a lot more control of doing things like keeping POP accounts in
> sync. But then of course if you're using IMAP this might not be such a
> problem.
>
> I'm guessing the MCAs do something along the same lines as the
> Mailet/Matcher stuff? Is that correct?

Re: Users - can't send email

Andrew Sykes
Thanks Si, I'll take a look.

Nothing to do with OFBiz, but in case you're interested, there's some
information on Mailets here...
http://james.apache.org/design_objectives.html
and
http://james.apache.org/mailet/index.html

They are very powerful, hence BJ and I raving on!

- Andrew